cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lot of emails going missing

alanrichard

Hello.

I first bacame aware of this 3 weeks ago - someone called me to say his emails were bounced back as undeliverable.

Since then I have been testing with other email accounts to email myself.

Some of the mails generate a report from  MAILER-DAEMON@mk-outboundfilter-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com (other mail account) with "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" with no other info. 

Some of the mails do not generate a report.

Just now I sent an email from my BT to my other account.

One I replied to myself (to my BT)

One I forwarded to myself (to my BT)

The forewared mail came through, the replied to did not. There was no indication or MAILER-DAEMON email at the other account to say it did not go.

Nothing has changed on my PC. I have added the missing mailers to 'safe senders' list etc. since, but with no effect.

I'm sure there are other mails I should be getting but am not.

This is becoming so unreliable it is worse than not having the email account at all. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alan

2 REPLIES 2

WizApprentice
Power User

Hello.

First, obtain copies of the e-mails that the person was tring to send to you. When you have seen the e-mail and checked the email address that person was using you can be sure there was a service problem and not only a misspelling of the email address by the person. It is unusual that onyl one persn would have reported a problem. Normally a problem would be reported by several people at least.

Secondly, send some test emails to relatives and friends while you are on the telephone to them. You can then have an instant update. Ask them to reply to you while on the telephone too and you will be able to confirm if your incomng emails are arriving or not.

Finally, sending emails to yourself may not be the best way to test.

Hope there are some ideas here, but if not please ignore.

alanrichard

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestions, WizApprentice. All welcome.

I did get a copy of the email. The address was correct. They had actually replied to an email I had sent them, so it should have been right.

I will ask others to mail me to check.

The emails I had sent myself were from another email server.

Even last night I was forwarding some mail to myself from there. I sent it to my main BT email address and also another address I have set up on the same account and nothing came through and no report was generated.

When I first posted I had received some 'Undeliverable status' reports back from the mail server but not last night.

I checked my BT webmail and have found 13 messages that have been marked as spam, including some from myself but not all.

There seems no pattern to what was caught as spam. Some are FWD messages, some new, some plain text some HTML.

I've added most significant names to my safe senders list on the webmail.

But still some mail is completely missing. Important stuff from an accountant too. Thankfully they were the ones to alert me to the problem at first and have re-sent everything to this other account.

Its annoying that I have to resort to this old account that came with a Broadband subscription that expired years ago. I fear they will 'pull the plug' on this mail account without warning.

Thanks again for the tips.

Regards.

Alan