cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular and permanent disconnects after ADSL2+ upgrade

garywithbt

At the beginning of December I received a mail from BT saying on the 15th December I would be "upgraded" to ADSL2+; the mail filled me with dread. I was not wrong - every since I have had regular, daily and permanent disconnects from broadband. I have told this story to about 8 people on the phone and getting a bit tired, especially as the story gets longer. Here it is....

I am using DG384g v2 router with several wireless cameras on the LAN side of my router. Together with motion detection triggering email I also heartbeat messages to either FTP site or my blackberry. I consequently know exactly when the internet is down. After suffering all the disconnects I replaced all my filters (with BT ones), the adsl cable and even bought a new router - the problem still happened. 

BT seem insistent it is a problem in the house and want to send an engineer (140 GBP + VAT). All my experience tells me that if problems start after something changes you DO NOT going sniffing around that which has not changed. All I want is someone to put me pack on ADSL or a different piece of kit at the exchange that works. I don't need or want a home visit. 

Furthermore, when the disconnect happens it is can be recovered by one of the following; i) restarting the router if I am at home; ii) running a line test via the BT website; or iii) BT support folk initiating and completing a line test. Trick ii) should be evidence alone, IMHO, that the problem is not a faulty phone/wires, say, in my home.

Apparently another engineer is going to investigate at the exchange; please move me to kit that works and (it pains me to say) forget any root cause analysis; just get me up and running with broadband that had been fault free for over 3 years prior to the ADSL2+ "upgrade".

Help ! ! !

2 REPLIES 2

Tracey
Guru

Hi garywithbt,

Sorry to read about the problems that you have been having with your internet connection.

Unfortunately, we are not able to assist with technical issues.

You would need to speak to the Technical Support team who would be able to assist you with this.

Thanks

Tracey

BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

garywithbt

Just want to close this off as there maybe someone out there who benefits from my resolution.

After 5 weeks BT 1st/2nd line support were suggesting I need to reenter my username and password - very sad that an organisation the size of BT can only get to that point after so many weeks. To save them any more pain I told a white lie and said the problem was fixed.

I then did a line test, which re-established my connection (no username/password fixes needed) and I then set about seeing what other things I change on my router WAN settings. As I have a static IP; rather can getting an IP every time from BT, I decided to switch my settings to hard-coding my permanent address. BINGO ! No disconnects since that change; no errors, no LCP down......why it works, who knows and I certainly don't care.

Please note, I AM NOT suggesting that you tinker with your router settings; if you do so it is at your own risk - this was simply my story !

BBFN.