cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Email Settings Errors

ALD2355

I get this message when I am out of the UK when I am trying to test settings:

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I have set up:

pop3.btconnect.com

smtp.btconnect.com

Ports 110 and 25

I have also tried mail.btconnect.com.

Sometimes it work if I tick requires my 'outgoing server requires authorisation' but often it does not and I have to use webmail or gmail when away.

Receiving emails works fine.

What are the correct settings as everything works fine in my office and most of the time in the UK?

Ticking or unticking SPA and SSL does nothing.

Why does the SMTP server keep rejecting my email requests?

There seems to be no pattern and I keep trying different combinations so does BT stop you sending emails out of the UK or is it a sending in the WLAN where I am working.  These are hotels and conference centres in different continents.

Any advice gratefully received as I have spent a long time trying to solve this problem.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

It's probably a port 25 block.  A lot of places like hotels block it, which is a complete pain.

Dave

ALD2355

THanks for the reply.  Is there an alternative ot using port 25?

Stephenc
Master User

Hi ALD2355,

There is no alternative on the old platform to using port 25, the new platform uses a different port.

When not on a BT connection ensure outgoing quthentication is selected.  When on a BT connection ensure it is turned off (unless on the new platform).

However many ISP's that do block port 25 will often let you use their outgoing server to send mail, contact your ISP provider to see if this is possible.

Further to this (if you're ok with their security / privacy policies) there are 3rd party companies who run mail servers on other ports who maybe able to provide the service.

But in the first instance, I'd contact the ISP blocking the connection.

Thanks,

Steve