cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure guest access.

devondavid

We run a small self-catering holiday cottage business, and I would like to give guests broadband access. However, I would prefer to keep my own network secure and protected. I realise I could go down the OpenZone route, but I don't want to get into the business of selling vouchers etc., and frankly, our speeds are so low out here in rural Devon (about 350Kbps) I would be embarrassed to ask for money for such a slow connection.

Can I run two separate networks off one BT Business router - for example - can I disable the security on the BTFusion 8620 ssid and use that for "free access". I am no expert on networks and/or routers, and I'm a bit scared of  changing settings in case I dig myself into a hole I can't climb back out of.

Cheers,

David.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MiloBT
Power User

I don't believe you can using the BT router.

There are other routers on the market that you can have multiple SSIDs on (like the Netgear ones), and some with dedicated 'Guest' networks (e.g. the Cisco/Linksys ones). So you may be best using one of those.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MiloBT
Power User

I don't believe you can using the BT router.

There are other routers on the market that you can have multiple SSIDs on (like the Netgear ones), and some with dedicated 'Guest' networks (e.g. the Cisco/Linksys ones). So you may be best using one of those.

Sogo7
Grand Master

BT Business hubs are capable of broadcasting TWO SSID's.

One uses WPA encryption and this I would recomend be used for any business related PC that is connected via wifi.

The other channel uses WEP encryption and is less secure due to a well known weakness and suggest using this for guest access. A little sign in the office or shop saying 'Ask for Wifi key' should suffice.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner

MiloBT
Power User

I understood that the second SSID was fixed for "BT Openzone" use only and not configurable?

Sogo7
Grand Master

Does your router look like this?  see link

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z5/rv/2009/05/bt_business_hub_1.jpg

As a BT business customer this is what you should of been issued along with a setup disc.

Technically speaking it's capable of broadcasting three ssid's, WEP , WPA and the btopenzone that   is not configurable save for the fact it can be turned on or off.

Customer services SHOULD be able to walk you through changing the both the default SSID's  and security keys in about ten minutes.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner

compu-technics
Hi all,

I'm running a 2701hgv-c and I'd like to run a 'guest' network also. Two SSID's on the same network is all well and good, but if you can't isolate them from one another, I don't see the point; are you suggesting customer services should be able to advise on the same type of isolation as is inherent with the BTOpenZone publication?

If that's the case is it also viable to limit the bandwidth available to guest users, as the BTOpenZone SSID does?

Thanks

MiloBT
Power User

@Sogo7...

I got my 2701HGV-C out of the loft today to check what you were saying.

There is no option to add/enable any additional networks / SSIDs from within the web configuration pages that I can see, only the options to modify the security settings etc. of the one connection (and enable/disable BT Openzone access). I haven't loaded the software on to my PC since I shouldn't need to do so, all configuration items are supposed to be accessible via the router's web page access.

Whilst the router is capable of broadcasting multiple SSIDs, I think the BT firmware restricts it.

I need to check which firmware version the one I have is running and see whether an update makes it possible.

This page suggests it may be possible though: http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

Although this may mean using non-BT firmware.

I'll have a closer look and post back when I know more.

@compu-technics wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running a 2701hgv-c and I'd like to run a 'guest' network also. Two SSID's on the same network is all well and good, but if you can't isolate them from one another, I don't see the point; are you suggesting customer services should be able to advise on the same type of isolation as is inherent with the BTOpenZone publication?

If that's the case is it also viable to limit the bandwidth available to guest users, as the BTOpenZone SSID does?

Thanks

I can't remember when checking this morning whether "wireless isolation" was an option on the one I have. But if you can't enable/change the second SSID then it's a moot point.

If you do eventually change routers for something with multiple SSID support & wireless isolation just be aware that some manufacturers (e.g. Netgear!) enable wireless isolation across single SSIDs (i.e. two machines on the same SSID can't see each other). So this can lead to issues when trying to transfer files etc. between two 'trusted' machines.

MiloBT
Power User

OK, the site I linked to above must be very much out of date.

The firmware version on mine is "6.3.9.41-plus.tm" (far ahead of the 6.1.x version on that site).

However, there's definitely no options for multiple SSIDs and / or wireless isolation.