cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple explanation of BT jargon?!

jjlothin

We recently signed up for BT Business Total Broadband - Advance Support and received a BT Business Hub 3 (actually we received three of them: it's a long story ...)

Whilst I have managed to get the broadband working, it's been a very hit-and-miss business, and all the different usernames, passwords, etc, used by BT have totally boggled me, being someone to whom the whole issue of broadband is still something of a mystery. (This hasn't been helped by the fact that, after a week or two of service, BT decided to stop and re-start us, which meant, of course, yet more usernames and passwords!)

Is there anywhere in the ridiculous complexity that is the BT website which explains exactly what each piece of information (eg, username) means?

I've sort of got my head round the username (which for some reason I really can't understand is a BTConnect email address - am I supposed to be able to send/receive on it? If so, god knows how!) and password for the BT Business account ... But what is meant, for example, by the network login username (elsewhere described as broadband username)? And the network login password as distinct from the Hub admin password and the wireless key/router password? Etcetera etcetera!

Any help offered would be most welcome!

3 REPLIES 3

zzZZzz
Power User

In reverse order.

The wireless security key (password) is used to permit your wireless device (phone, tablet, laptop) to connect using wifi to your router (hub). This is the first link in the chain to eventually connecting your device to the internet.

The router (hub) Username (admin) and password, is only used to permit you to log into your router using a web browser, to manage the numerous settings within it.  eg. you may wish to rename your wifi network, switch off BT openzone hotspot on the hub  etc.

The network login name (broadband username), is stored within the router (hub) and permits the router to establish an internet connection through your broadband provider.  This may already be set up for your automatically by BT on the hub they provided to you, otherwise, you normally have to manually enter it yourself particularly if you are not using a BT hub.

Most internet providers supply a free email address.  You do not have to use the BTconnect account for your email. BT may also send notifications to this email account.

If I've made any error, I'm sure someone will correct me.

adrianc
Master User

Hi,

You probably received two different 'usernames' - one which is @btconnect.com and another that is @hgxx.btclick.com.

The @btconnect.com one is your main BT email address and also your login for the BT Business portal.  At the top of this page if you hover over 'Your account', one of the options is 'Manage Services'.  You use the @btconnect.com username and password to log in and it allows you you buy additional services and manage the ones you have already. (Getting started with your broadband and internet services account)

You can send and receive using this email address if you want to, there's another link under 'Your account' to take you to the login page for the webmail (you can set this email address up in an email program like Outlook if you prefer). Getting Started with Email Lite (powered by Office 365)

I'd suggest checking that email address from time to time because BT send stuff there when there are changes to the service - or you can use 'Manage Services' to forward mail to another address if you prefer. (How do I set up email forwarding?)

The username that ends @hgxx.btclick.com in different places it might be called network ID or broadband username but iit s only ever used in the router.  You'll never use it to log into a website, nor is at an email address.  Probably the only time you'll ever have to use it is if you get your own router because the BT hubs download the right one automatically. (What are my broadband network login details?)

Hope that helps,

Adrian

jjlothin

Where would I be without internet forums! Smiley Happy

I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to, zzAAzz and Adrian, to clarify all this. I have now set up email forwarding on the btconnect account and am awaiting the return of a test message ... I've also printed this dialogue out, so that I can refresh my understanding when my mind gets boggled again.

Why BT can't provide explanations like these themselves, however, I do not know...