cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed

UCHM

Hi

We are having problems with our broadband speed, which used to be 10Mbps + and is now down to around 1Mbps.

We have tried all the suggested troubleshooting on the site, tried the online chat and was on for nearly an hour while they ran line tests from their end and said we should be getting 14 - 15 Mbps, then took over a PC here and did the wholesale test which said 1 Mbps was all we able to get, and then went on a sales pitch for infinity, but as we are a charity we're not willing to fork out more money unless there is nothing that can be done with our existing broadband.

Anyone have any ideas as to what we could do to get the broadband back to a reasonable speed?

The wholesale test results were:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps

We are using a Linksys WAG350N router and we have a separate line for the broadband which is not used for anything else.  We have tried a different router (BT hub) but still have the same problem.

Router settings:

Encapsulation:PPPoA

Multiplexing: VC

QoS Type: UBR

Autodetect: Enabled

Virtual Circuit 0/38

Modulation: MultiMode

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

MHC
Guru

Your modem stats such as Sync Speeds, Attenuation, SNR or Margin is a starting point.

I'll also send you a Private Message.

UCHM

Hi

Thanks for your reply and message.  The router stats are:

DSL Upstream Rate:   632 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps

Down         up    
DSL Noise Margin:    23.6 dB       7.3 dB
DSL Attenuation:     24.5 dB      22.9 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.1 dBm     12.3 dBm

MHC
Guru

It looks as though you have been capped or banded - 1152 tells me that.   Based on your Downstream margin you should definitely be seeing  in the order of 15Mbps.

I see from tee message that you have also posted as suggested and that will be a better source for assistance - so, if necessary I will contribute there along with others.