cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow Broadband

jawood197

Can anyone advise what to do next?

My broadband has ground to a halt over the past week / 10 days. I went from 3 meg line to download speeds of 56k, I cant open most web pages as it crashes. I have tried 1 PC and 2 laptops and the same result. I have changed the filter, and tried a new BT V.3 Wireless Router as well as my own V.2 Router. I have tried running an ethernet cable and wireless, and I have tried 2 different sockets.

I called BT Internet to be told it is not a broadband issue, that it is a socket issue. I have been told by the line repair team it is not the line.

So what is it???

I am at my wits end trying to figure this one out.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

MHC
Guru

Have you tried in the test socket behind the face plate of the master?

Do a factory reset on the router (or your old one),  connect your PC directly to the router via Ethernet and confirm you have access.   Set up your username and password.

Then, connect the router to the test socket ... wait for it to sync and settle - say 2 minutes and then try to access the router, then move to know places on the web.

Tell us what you find ...

TimDurham75
Power User

Identical symptom to me:

http://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Broadband-and-internet/Slow-Broadband-since-Saturday-download/td-p/...

After 10 days, and immediately prior (on the same morning as) my THIRD engineer visit to look at my line - which broadband support were categorically blaming for the "issue" it suddenly started working "as normal" again!   The engineer could find nothing wrong with the line, neither did the previous engineer and the first one we never saw in person but he "re-made" our external connection blaming "water leakage" into the cabling - this did nothing about the issue and was a "red herring" as far as I am concerned.

I believe the issue lay either somewhere in the exchange or, much more likely, with the infrastructure link going south or with the connecting servers - in my case the engineer reported there had been serious problems with the main pipe heading south, around Edinburgh.  He thought this might have been reponsible.

Nothing ever made public by BT about this "fault" but clearly there was an issue and they then eventually resolved but at no time did it "show up" as a service status problem.  It just suddenly "went away" but you may need to chase support hard to get it resolved.  Try to get the call escalated to "Manager Level" to get some action.

shudman

I too have been experienced slowness over the last few weeks, and after a handful of engineer visits it seems there is a sweeping change that is happening across the exchanges. 

Following customers complaining that their "up to 8Mb" and "up to 20Mb" are no where near their optimum speeds, it seems that the SNR on the lines is purposely being dropped to 3.0db....which has a net effect of increasing speeds.  However, the downside is that the line is more unreliable Smiley Mad   This generates more errors on the line and packets seemed to be dropped and have to be resent...making things slower and slower.

What I think you experienced, Tim,  was the engineer basically asking the exchange to reset the SNR back to >5.0db...and them taking their own sweet merry time, and it seemed to automagically fix itself.

Now....the only remaining issue is the cr@ppy upgrade to the 2700HGV firmware that seems to have slowed browsing down. I am getting good connection and sync speeds (and again, no errors are seen when logging a call).

Just leave stuff alone - it was working fine ! (although 4Mb instead of "up to 20" is a tad frustrating)