cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible quality phone line - way out in countryside

BombusBecky

We are absolutely desperate for help. We have spent, quite literally, months on the phone to BT trying to sort out our appalling phone line but to no avail.

Our phone line is SUCH bad quality that we are now loosing customers as mistakes are being made when trying to take telephone orders.

We are a small company, renting converted stables on a farm way out in the Kentish countryside. We currently have to share a phoneline with the main, residential farmhouse. We have separate numbers but the same bill.

BT have told us that we can't have our own business line as the telegraph poles around us do not belong to them. We are apparently the furthest we can be away from the exchange, which explains the poor quality. We also have the lowest possible speed broadband (less than 1.5mb) so VOIP is not really an option. 

BT recommended to us last week that we buy a broadband accelerator fom BT products and services and use try to use Skype. I couldn't find an accelerator on the product and servies page.

There must, surely, we an answer to this? Our landlord is a retired farmer and unable to help, although of course, this is really his problem. 

Can anyone suggest anything we might do? Who to contact? Anything at all? 

2 REPLIES 2

JohnE
Guru

BombusBecky, I am very sorry that you are inconvenienced in this way.  I am curious as to who provides the telephone line your broadband is provided on.

As for the Broadband Accelerator, I suspect that this is what was meant:

BT Iplate / BT Broadband Accelerator

I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend that you purchase one, since no guarantees can be given that it will improve your broadband speed.

Davel
Super User

The telephone service that you are paying for should be "fit for service". Assuming BT are your provider it is down to them to provide you with a line to an acceptable standard. Regarding the Telegraph poles around you, if they belong to BT they will have either BT or perhaps GPO embossed at a height of about 2 metres from the ground.