cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ADSL2+

andygraves

Earlier this year we upgraded our broadband from 8MB home broadband to 20MB business broadband.

When I checked our connection speed this week I saw that we were still on an 8MB connection. The first BT person I spoke to on their webchat told me that our old home hub wasn't compatible with the new business broadband conneciton as it couldn't be configured to use our business username and password.

The ony option was to spend £79 on a business hub 3. I installed the business hub last night and configured it with our business username and password. There was no change to our conneciton speed and the hub still reported just under 8MB connection on an ADSL Max line (Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A).

I spoke to another BT person on webchat this morning and we went through the process of connecting to the master socket test connections and uploading extensions etc. He said to leave it connected like this for 72 hours! Not possible as no phone could were no connected and wires all over the hall in front of the door.

We have paid for a 20MB connection with a new 24 month contract but I cam becoming more and more convinced that BT just haven't upgraded our line to ADSL2+ and no amount of pluggin into different sockets is going to make any difference.

Here are the connections stats from my new business hub:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:46:34
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.8 dB / 29.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):25.4 dB / 13.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):199 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

The uptime if low as I have just moved the router back to its normal location.

Do I need BT to do something their end to upgrade me to a 20MB ADSL2+ conneciton?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

11 REPLIES 11

markp
Grand Guru

Hi andygraves,

I can see that you have been in contact with the helpdesk, and I have had a look at the case for you.  From what I can see the lines profile is now on ADSL2+ and you should be getting better speeds now.

Can you test the speed you are getting on the connection to see if this is the case, if it is let either me or the helpdesk know and they will close the case off for you.

Mark

andygraves
We are getting much better speeds now thanks, currently downloading at about 12.5Mbps which is almost double the previous speed.