cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Microsoft 365 - new email addresses

nalp30

I've just been told that I'm being upgraded to Microsoft 365 for Small Business.  The process requires you to create a domain name that is then used for all your email addresses.  Does that mean my existing btconnect email address will no longer work and I have to tell all my customers that i have a new address or will my existing email address continue to work?  I've searched the BT website and can't find an answer. That's surprising given this new domain name is a major part of the upgrade process - I had expected a cpmprehensive Q&A to answer all the obvious questions.

It's a disaster if i have to tell my customers that I've had to change my email address to suit BT.  But perhaps not surprising as BT seem to think we're in business to suit BT and not the other way round.  BT Geeks rule OK?

3 REPLIES 3

briesmith

BT will forward emails from your old BTConnect addresses automatically to your designated new address. I was told "indefinitely" but was unable to get a definition of what BT's indefinitely means.

Moving to Office365 is a real chore - I had to set-up 7 devices - but it does give you independence from BT once you've done it. For example, I am finding the new Office 365 service to be extremely sluggish, particularly when switching folders. I will monitor the situation and if it doesn't improve, move my email to another ISP. I didn't have this option before with BTConnect.

To get people and custmers to change can I suggest putting a signature on your Outlook emails describing where you are; ie the old BTConnect address is no longer valid and that they should update their Contacts list/Address books to use the new one.

And PS, don't forget to move away from POP3 to IMAP. IMAP was a chargeable service with BTConnect but is integral, I think (this needs to be confirmed) to Office 365. If it turns out not to be and BT still want to charge for it well then, that's another reason to move your email to another ISP.

nalp30

Thanks for your advice.  I've now had two unsatisfactory calls to the BT email help desk on the number provided on the upgrade email sent by BT.  Neither operator was able to explain the process, the way to comple the 4 tasks needed to be completed before upgrade or how the upgrade date can be changed.  The incompetence of BT is staggering.  They have spent 12 months running this process yet are employing staff that they have not trained to properly inform customers how to make a smooth transfer.  Now waiting for some poor incompetent to ring back with another string of excuses.

nalp30

Finally got to speak to a person who knew what she was speaking about.  Then BT snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by failing to sync my newly created domain name with the "create new email" option in the sign up tasks.  So I'm now in suspended animation unable to complete the process to prepare to move to Microsoft 365 and so unable to change the inconvenient date they have allocated me. BT your ability to screw up contiually astounds me - you are world class at annoying this customer.