cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed Not what is expected

davethebb

Please help. I am on the Pluckley exchange in Kent which I believe only has the basic ADSL Max equipment. I have just moved from Sky becuase of traffic management issues and the fact I alway had a very low upload speed. I spent a long time discussing with Plusnet and BT about that various packages and finally opted for the BT Bussiness package as they said I would have up to 1mg (Plus net was 832Kbs). My line is still undergoing its intial set up - 8 days in but is very stable and has not fluctuated at all) but I am only getting 0.35mg (same as Sky????) - the SNR = 13db = approx 450mts from the cabinet. The line is set at 8.1down and 0.5mg upload. I am obtain 7mg down very consistantly.

I have just spoken to a BT advisor who has just told me that my line will not support a faster upload and it is not capped etc. Is thier anything I can do or do I need to move to Plusnet as they will guarantee the 832Kbs upload speed?

3 REPLIES 3

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there @davethebb 

The maximum upload speed that BT support on copper broadband is 1 Mbps,  however copper broadband is divided into a few different technologies.

21CN (ADSL2+)offers up to 1 mbps however we can lower this in order to increase the download speed.

20CN (ADSL) broadband Supports a maximum upload speed on the BT Wholesale network of 832 Kbps,  however different service providers support different contracts on this.  BT retails *the company that you pay for broadband) only offers up to 448 Kbps on upload on 20CN.

As 20CN is an older technology you are automatically upgraded to 21Cn when this becomes available,  however the speed changes happen when you resign your contract on the new speed terms.

Annex-M, is not offered by BT retail and is usually only available on 21CN exchanges,  this offers (i believe) a maximum upload speed of 4 Mbps.

If you enter your number into BT Broadband Availability Checker this will tell you what technology is available.

If you have been offered up to 1 Mbps on the upload and we cannot offer 1 Mbps as a maximum speed then we need to raise a mis-sale against this and rectify this.

I will say that if you are no a 21CN service and are not getting the 1 Mbps upload then we can try and improve this but the issue may be down to line quality and as such the speed would be the same with any provider and this would not be a mis-sale as the speed would be "Up To"

Hope this helps

Burkem5

davethebb

Thanks Burkem5,

I have tried the link but it only says ADSL Max? However I believe it is 20CN technology used but I do know that PlusNet offered and guaranteed 832Kbs - are BT not able to do this?

If it has been mis sold how can it be rectified - are there other ways of increasing the upload speed?

I am aware that the exchange is being upgraded to fibre but our cabinet is not (for some reason) - is their anyway to influence this or even upgrade to 21CN?

cdhobden

Did you every get a solution to this?

I have the same problem. Moving my ADSL to BT halved my upload speed.

With my last ISP I was on the old style 20:1 ratio IPStream product that had 832Kbs upload. Now I have moved to BT but they cant offer me the same, its just not an option on the system. I have spent hours on the phone to very helpful staff but most of the time they just dont understand the fact that its just a different product.

Is there really no current eqivelent of IPStream Max for people stuck on the 20CN?