cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using QuarkXPress and FileZilla to create and post website

jmme

Does anyone out there use QuarkXPress8 to create webpages (output to HTML), then upload the site using FileZilla - all from a Mac to be hosted on BT server?

I'm a competent user of Quark and desperately want to use this to create and manage my web content, but am struggling to 'get it up' and running. I've previously tried to post to the Mr Site hosting service, but without success.

Is anyone will to share their experience and lead me through it?

Thanks

Judith 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dave
Guru
You could upload the site to your mooredge.co.uk site, then ask MRSITE to forward the domain mosaicprintdesign.co.uk to mooredge.co.uk.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

alastair
Grand Guru

ive used filezilla to upload stuff to webspace yesterday.

off the top of my head at the top it asks host username and password

host = ftp.yourwebsitename.co.uk

username = yourwebsitename.co.uk

password = your ftp password.

on the left or right you can see several folders. you want to be uploading to the public folder.

on the other side you have your local files so select the files made by quarkXpress8 and then there should be an upload button.

at the bottom it shows the files being uploaded and their progress.

once they reach 100% they disappear meaning they have uploaded.

sorry if this is vague but i removed filezilla after use. 

=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

jmme

Thanks. I'll try this.

I remember last time I tried (with the Mr Site hosting) I got terribly confused with the file hierarchy - what to keep, what automatically gets updated when you re-send etc.  I presume by 'public folder' that's where I want my uploaded files to reside. Also, that when I update, say a single text box on one of the web pages, that I need only upload that single file - with the identical name - for the website to be 'updated'?

alastair
Grand Guru
you are correct
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

dave
Guru

Pretty much all you do in Filezilla is in the left side, browse to the folder containing your files. Make sure the lower left window shows the files as you don't want to upload the actual containing folder, just its content. Connect to the server the browse to the public folder on the right pane.

Then select the files you want to upload and drag and drop them onto the public folder, and it is as simple as that really.

PS. watch out for those pesky .DS_Store files that get into all the folders on a Mac. They are normally hidden but will show up in Filezilla. They won't do any harm if you do upload them, but they always annoy me.

filezilla.jpg

jmme

Can you advise how I obtain my ftp password? Do I have to go through BT for this?

dave
Guru

If you don't know your current FTP password, reset it by doing the following:

Click on 'Manage services'
Click on 'Manage your website/s'
Click on 'Change FTP password for ......'

jmme
I'm struggling with browsing to find my files in the left hand pane of FileZilla. Alongside the Local site box I can only choose from wwwroot and wwwroot/wwwroot. I saved my files on the hard drive, in a folder called Files for Upload.

spank
Grand Guru

wwwroot is the local website folder for IIS.  When you set up the FTP site in fzilla there should be an option for local folder, select the one where your files are stored. 

The password is actually viewable on the portal....if you go to  

• http://www.bt.com/business/login 
  • Login with your btconnect email address and password. 
  • Click 'manage services' at the top.
  • Select 'Manage your website/s' under 'websites and domain names'
  • If you put the mouse over the link for 'manage domain.com' and check out the location it will go to when you click it, usually in the bottom of the browser window, it shows you the login details.

Or you could just reset it in here.

Message Edited by spank on 12-08-2009 12:21 PM

jmme

Getting there - I think! Found the local folder and uploaded successfully. 

However issue now is that the BT login is for one domain name, whereas I'm wanting to post a website for a different domain name (the one I set up with the Mr Site purchase). Previously, when using an external hosting agent, I had the BT-registered site 'pointing' to two other sites, one of which I'm trying to set up now. That initial 'front page' still works, with the old content, but the secondary name - and the new content I've just uploaded - cannot be accessed (Server Error 403). 

Please can anyone help me through this maze?