cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP and WIFI - Can Anyone Help?

awtltd

Hi,

I currently have a BT 2WiRE HUB 2701 and BT INFINITY Fibre BB.

I'm sort of stuck with this hub because I have 2 BT BUSINESS VOIP lines connected to standard phones and the Hub 3 doesn't support this. I can't use the falcon phones as the hub is not located near to where the phones are needed.

I have seen advertised a Cisco SPA112 2-Port Phone Adapter, does anyone know if these can be used with the HUB 3 and BT BUSINESS VOIP? If so, how easy are they to set up? Do they just plug in and go or do you need to do some configuration?

Also, I'm currently having issues with the strength/stability of WIFI. My wifi speed is average to say the least on my new laptop, connecting to older laptops, IPAD's, and other mobile devices speed is slow and signal strength/stability is patchy, I can't move the position of the router and was wondering if anyone has a solution to boosting the WIFI signal.

I've seen this - Devolo Wireless N Homeplug dLAN 200 AV Starter Kit 1409, does anyone know if it will work and how much it will boost the signal?

Thanks,

Kev

6 REPLIES 6

MHC
Guru

Call teh VOIP helpdesk and they will email the required settings to you but are unlikely to provide and specific help in setting up the Cisco hardware.

I have been told by a Cisco partner that their SPA232 will work on BT Business VOIP and the SPA23 is a DECT version.   I have yet to try it though.

I have looked at Gigaset and can confirm that it is not possible to use their VOIP adapters.

If you do go for the Cisco, buy from somewhere you can return it within 7 days (distance selling regs) and if it does not work - get it straight back.    If it does,   please post here that you have succeeded as there are many in your situation.

awtltd

Hi MHC,

Sounds good - A couple of questions...

I have 2 VOIP lines - according to the description the 112 has 2 channels, I think the 232 has only 1 - so I'd need 2 and it would take up another ethernet port. 

Also, I couldn't find the SPA 23?

Further, my phones adre DECT phones - are you saying the 112 doesn't work with dect phones and i need the 232 or the 23?

cheers,

Kev

MHC
Guru

Sorry a typo !   Should be 232 in both cases.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps10024/ps12775/data_sheet_c78-71... is te data sheet and I read it that there can be up to 10 SIP or VOIP accounts to the various handsets along with a single incoming PSTN connection which is also routed to a handset.

5 DECT handsets connected means that each handset will have access to more than one line.

I believe that one 232 is what you need - one Ethernet poret for te LAN, the second from what CISCO have told me seeems to be for a situation where a user has a modem but no router and te 232 acts as a router.

awtltd

Thanks for clearing that up. I chatted with Cisco online help regarding the 232 - but he was not sure if it would work with 2 VOIP lines and he asked me to call the phone help.

After waiting in the que for 15 minutes I got fed up and hung up - I guess my best option is to buy online and send back if it doesn't work as you suggested.

Regards,

Kev

MHC
Guru

When you get it, can you do a set of screen shots of the User Interface when settings up.  

I need to order one when I know I have time to play for a few days before sending back if it does not work - unfortunately I have too much to do over the next few weeks

My need is to have 2 (and later 4) VOIP lines and a PSTN line with 3 handsets

Handset 1 - picks up incoming on VOIP1 and PSTN; dials out on VOIP1

Handset 2 - picks up incoming on VOIP2 and PSTN; dials out on VOIP2

Handset 3 - picks up on ALL lines but dials out on PSTN

Screen shots showing teh set up tables would be useful.

awtltd

Sure, however, the main reason for me doing this is to get a stronger WIFI signal in an office remote from the Router - so I might try a Power Lan WiFi adaptor first.

Then I will try the Cisco option so I can use the more modern Router.

Regards,

Kev