cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which SMTP?

Lectrician
Hi.

I have a BT infinity service, migrated from standard ADSL set up years ago. I have no idea if we have a BT email, I've never opted to use one.

I want to setup my Exchange email server to send emails via the BT SMTP server, but not sure on the SMTP server to use for a business account? Not sure if it needs authentication either. I know you didn't used to need to authenticate if sending email on your own connection, only when roaming, but not sure these days.

On a different note, can BT setup a reverse DNS PTR record on my static IP?

Any info would be great.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Plumly
Grand Master

Hi Lectrician

you won't be able to send out using BT SMTP Server as a SMTP Smarthost any longer as they go through office365,

In regards of setting up Reverse DNS

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/cj_cat/3789,3775,3964

thats the link to the correct form

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Plumly
Grand Master

Hi Lectrician

you won't be able to send out using BT SMTP Server as a SMTP Smarthost any longer as they go through office365,

In regards of setting up Reverse DNS

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/cj_cat/3789,3775,3964

thats the link to the correct form

Lectrician

Thanks for the link, rDNS all setup without problems or lengthy phone calls, which is great.

While with the rDNS setup, I should be able to send email directly from my exchange server via DNS without too much junking, I have opted not to, as sending via an SMTP relay generally results in less emails being junk-foldered by customers.  I have ended up paying to use the authsmtp service as my ISP do not provide a reliable SMTP service, and the domain hosts SMTP server seems to end up with all the emails in the junk folders 😕

authsmtp.com's SMTP server seems reliable, as does 1and1's SMTP server (I can't use 1and1's on this occasion as the domain is not with them, but I do use theirs on other sites).