cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless power level for BT2700 HGV hub

Rank_Outsider
Power User

I use BT2700 HGV hub supplied with my company's business broadband account.  We rent office space and so the hub is located in a room to which we have no access.  Recently the company from which we rent office space installed additional wireless hubs for use by visitors to the facility (unsecured access, which is why we don't want to use it ourselves).  These broadcast on channels 1, 6 and 11, and despite trying all the other channels I can't seem to find a channel for which the signal quality of our wireless is good - I suspect that the signal is being swamped by the other hubs.

It occurred to me that the power output of the hub is too low, but it would seem that I can't change the power level of the hub - it is locked to the minimum level.  I have searched online and have verfied that BT changed the firmware to prevent people changing the power level setting.  I don't understand why I can't change the power settings from the lowest setting - I don't want to exceed the maximum legal power level of 100 mW, I just want to try using a higher level than the minimum to see if that solves my problem.

Does anyone have any tips?  Unfortunately I have no leeway with regards to relocating the hub (even getting access to it would be tricky!).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MHC
Guru

You mention that some computers are connected to teh hub - I would guess they are in your office and a cable being run back to the hub.

If that is a the case then you need to buy a small 8 port switch - £20 or even less.

Disconnect two of the computers from their cables.  Connect the switch to one of them and the two computers to the switch.   They will share the connection from switch to hub but that is not a problem.

Then purchase a Wireless Access Point - Netgear WN802T,  Draytek Vigor AP700, ZyXel, Linksys (CISCO), D-Link ...   £60 to £100

Use the second connection to feed the WAP.   You can have that in your office rather than the comms room, you have immediate access to it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

a-hill
Grand Master

The only option really available to you if it's locked away in a room is to find what ever channel best suits the area. I used an app for my Android phone called Wifi Analyzer (may be available for iOS as well if you have an iphone). It takes your wireless connection and accounts for the other wireless networks around and suggests the best channel for your router. Beyond that there's not really much that can be done.

MalcolmW

Hi, you can use inSSIDer 2 

How can inSSIDer help me?

Inspect your WLAN and surrounding networks to troubleshoot competing access points
Track the strength of received signal in dBm over time
Filter access points in an easy-to-use format
Highlight access points for areas with high Wi-Fi concentration
Export Wi-Fi and GPS data to a KML file to view in Google Earth.
Filter through hundreds of scanned access points

Its free and opensource.

Regards

Mal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These Forums are for BT Business customers to discuss how to get the most out of their BT Business products and services with other customers. If you have an issue that needs to be resolved by BT please contact us. Off topic posts will be removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank_Outsider
Power User

Thank you for both replies.  I don't have a smart phone so can't use the suggested applications, but have installed inSSIDer on my laptop.  The graphical display of signal strength against broadcast channel has has proved useful - I was able to change the channel to one that had the lowest overll overlap with the other signals.  Unfortunately I haven't noticed much difference since the change (the channel I was using was already almost the least overlapped channel).  There may be a small improvement, but small differences can be hard to pick up over the normal day-to-day variation in quality.

It is frustrating that the hub hardware is artificially restricted by the firmware to only output the lowest strength signal.  I can imagine why this might be - I read about a lot of people on forums who put it up to the max permissable level (or even higher) so that they can email from their garden shed etc. without thinking of the consequences to their neighbours.  However there must be a lot of responsible people out there who would like to be able to boost power output so that the full capability of their business broadband hub can be exploited for the benefit of their business.

If the above reason is true, the only solution I can see is somehow restricting the ability to boost the power output level to those that actually need it, although in all honesty I can't see how such a system would work in practice (although I am not an expert in this area - maybe there is a solution if enough people demand it).

MHC
Guru

Do you know which version of 2700 you have?

V5 can be increased in power output - if you know how.

It is NOT illegal as it is still within the maximum power level that is allowed in the UK.

It is a gripe for me too - I have a several locations (mainly non-BT) that I provide advice/support to, some where the power level is fine - or too high and others where it needs increasing which we have achieved legally.     

I will give you a link in a PM if you wish.

Rank_Outsider
Power User

Hi MHC,

Thanks for your reply.  The hardware version is 2701-100589-005 and it is running firmware version 6.1.1.48.1-enh.tm.

I'm aware from reading this and other forums that it may be possible to downgrade the firmware to access the power level controls, but have been wary of trying this for the following reasons (although not all of these reasons may apply to my situation):

1. It is possible to "brick" the hub if you use the wrong firmware version.

2. Our BT Broadband account may not work with the firmware version used.

3. BT may not help me fix problems I create using 'unofficial' firmware (or at least without charging for it).

4. The firmware automatically updates itself anyway, rendering any changes temporary.

I am worried about trying anything that risks losing the broadband connection for our business or creates a problem that the company has to pay to fix - we can't afford either!

MHC
Guru

I would not reccomend downgrading the firmware either - for exactly those reasons you state and hence my question about firmware version.

Had it already been a firmware version 5 then it is possible to use a browser based fix to increase the power level.

Can you get occasional access to the room where it is located?    If so, why not purchase a Wireless Access Point  with power control available and connect that directly to the 2700 whilst also turning the 2700's wireless connection off?

Rank_Outsider
Power User

Thanks for confirming my decision not to mess around with the firmware MHC!

I remember trying the fix you were thinking of quite early on, but as you point out, my firmware version was too high.

I hadn't considered the purchase of a Wireless Access Point, and although I imagine they don't cost that much, our cashflow situation is extremely tight at the moment.  It's the best suggestion I've heard so far though - thanks!  Would it plug directly into the existing hub?  We already use the ethernet port to connect some of our computers - would it plug into the USB port?

MHC
Guru

You mention that some computers are connected to teh hub - I would guess they are in your office and a cable being run back to the hub.

If that is a the case then you need to buy a small 8 port switch - £20 or even less.

Disconnect two of the computers from their cables.  Connect the switch to one of them and the two computers to the switch.   They will share the connection from switch to hub but that is not a problem.

Then purchase a Wireless Access Point - Netgear WN802T,  Draytek Vigor AP700, ZyXel, Linksys (CISCO), D-Link ...   £60 to £100

Use the second connection to feed the WAP.   You can have that in your office rather than the comms room, you have immediate access to it.

Rank_Outsider
Power User

Thanks MHC for your practical advice.  It's still frustrating that we should purchase additional hardware to make up for the restrictions imposed on our existing hub by the firmware, but at least now we have a work-around should the problem persist.