cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using a sub-domain

oldcodger

Hello, I’m hoping that you can someone  me; I’ve developed and
published my first website www.englishmartyrswithholytrinity.org.uk
(I found the exercise quite simple and the instructions straight forward).

However I’m now trying to publish my sub-domain www.holytrinity.com I hit the publish
button and everything seems OK, it tells me that the site has been successfully
published, but when I try to open the site I get the error message “website
declined to show this page” with the legend “HPPT 403 Forbidden”

I’ve followed all the help pages and checked that the
sub-domain exists in the public directory along with the correct index.htlm
page etc.

But I’m now at a loss as to what to do next; I’m also quite
worried about damaging my existing “functioning” site.

My guess is that I’ve missed something obvious, hoping you
can help me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnE
Guru

Oldcodger, I fear that you may be confused as to what a sub-domain is.  I looked up the domain name, holytrinity.com, which is what is known as a "top level domain" and we neither host it nor does it seem to be registered to you.  If you wished to create a subdomain of englishmartyrswithholytrinity.org.uk, it would look something like this:

holytrinity.englishmartyrswithholytrinity.org.uk

I have arranged to re-point your other domain name, holytrinityswf.com to point to the website you created, which is what I suspect you were trying to achieve:

http://www.holytrinityswf.com

Obviously, let me know if I'm wrong.  If necessary, send me a PM.  (Click on my icon and you'll see a link to send me a personal message a little way down the page, on the right)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JohnE
Guru

Oldcodger, I fear that you may be confused as to what a sub-domain is.  I looked up the domain name, holytrinity.com, which is what is known as a "top level domain" and we neither host it nor does it seem to be registered to you.  If you wished to create a subdomain of englishmartyrswithholytrinity.org.uk, it would look something like this:

holytrinity.englishmartyrswithholytrinity.org.uk

I have arranged to re-point your other domain name, holytrinityswf.com to point to the website you created, which is what I suspect you were trying to achieve:

http://www.holytrinityswf.com

Obviously, let me know if I'm wrong.  If necessary, send me a PM.  (Click on my icon and you'll see a link to send me a personal message a little way down the page, on the right)

oldcodger

Hi John, many thanks

Yes that was what I intended to do, now I can see how you
did it all becomes clear

Again many thanks

Oldcodger