cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Wire Firewall advice

ttif3120

Hello All     At my wife’s business, there is a 2701HG gateway and a sever. All data on the server is contained in one folder in the root. I have set up remote access from home by utilising simple drive mapping to the servers external ( static) IP address and folder name. I also had to open ports 139 & 146 on the 2 wire to get this to work.

However, although this works well I am aware it does leave the server vulnerable as only a password is required to access the data.

My question is;   is it possible to configure the 2 wire so that it only accepts these incoming connection requests from one specific IP address  ie; the static IP assigned to my home router?

1 REPLY 1

TimDurham75
Power User

No, I do not believe the functionality of the router's built in firewall includes any remote host filtering capability - it only implements a port mapper that directs external port to an internal port and host address.

However, depending upon the OS of your server, you may be able to configure a Firewall on that to further restrict access - for example, the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" can have "Inbound Rules" where the "Scope" is configured for specific "Remote IP Address".

A combination of the two together may produce the effect you desire.

An alternative would require the introduction of some more sophisticated Firewall solution to replace that provided by the router, reducing it, instead to a "dumb" device.