PhilipMc

BT Business Broadband - 2wire hub / router

I recently subscribed to BT Business Broadband. With that we received the 2wire hub. The BT engineer set this up for us and the setup is an adsl modem plugged into the phone point and the 2wire hub plugged into the modem. My problem is with the 2wire hub. I notice that when you browse to the gateway ip address through an internet browser that you can see a lot of the settings that are on the hub. If you try to make changes you are prompted for a secure password before the changes will take effect. However there is an option to specifiy that you have forgotten the password and if you persist with this it will allow you to reset the password. Obviously this is the last thing that we would want in a public access area. It would be much better if a user was prompted for the router config password before they could even gain access to any of the router settings. I think I may have to replace the router. Are there any other routers that you would recommend? I take it that another router would connect in the same way i.e into the adsl modem which is then plugged into the point point.

Thanks in advance

Philip

Guru
MHC

Re: BT Business Broadband - 2wire hub / router

It will reset the password to the original - but who would know what that is?   Only you, unless someone had physical access to the router too.

Power User
zzZZzz

[ Edited ]

However there is an option to specifiy that you have forgotten the password and if you persist with this it will allow you to reset the password.

If you use the 'I still can't remember my password' link, I think you have to enter the default 10 digit WEP key that is printed on the underside of the hub to fully reset the password to a new one of your choice.  As MHC has pointed out, physical access to the router would be required to read the label.

There is another flaw though.....  you may already be using the default WEP key to connect to the wifi network !

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you change the wireless security settings.  

Do not use the default 10 digit numerical security key (WEP key as printed on hub).  Also upgrade the security to at least WPA-PSK too.  

Once you have changed your wifi security key, it will be near impossible for anyone to change the hub's password unless they can read the label on the hub.

btw, if your 2wire hub is connected to another modem, do you perhaps have fibre rather than ADSL broadband ?

If fibre, I think any 'cable' compatible wifi router (eg. ones sold for Virgin cable broadband) will work with the fibre modem.  Somoene more knowledgable should be able to confirm.

There is in fact a link at the top of this forum section

BT Fibre Guide to using your own router

PhilipMc

Firstly thanks so much for the reply.

It seems then that if someone tries to reset the password using the 'I still cant remember' option that they will be prompted for the original wep key. Well that is some comfort at least. The router is above the suspended ceiling in the cafe so they will not have physical access to it at all. I have already changed the security level to WPA and have changed the default wep password. The service that we signed up for is BT Unlimited. It was my understand that it works off an adsl modem and then the 2wire hub. Is that not right?

As an aside I have noticed that in the 3days that this thing has been in place internet access has stopped working at least once a day and has required a reset of the equipment. Not sure what would be cauing that problem myself.

PhilipMc

Hi,

Sorry about my previous reply and its multitude of spelling mistakes. :smileyhappy:. The service that we signed up to is called BT Infinity and not BT Unlimited.

Thanks

Power User
zzZZzz

[ Edited ]

BT Infinity is the BT fibre broadband service.

Is your modem, a OpenReach branded Huawei VDSL modem, commonly used in FTTC (Fibre To The street Cabinet) installations ?

I don't know why internet access would stop after 3 days.  I presume you can connect to the wifi, but there is no actual internet access.   I would make an educated guess that you are still within your 10 day line training period.

If problems still persist after 10 days, then you will need to contact BT to have the fault investigated.