SP1

DNS servers

Hi,

I have recently started with my new company to look after the LAN including the BT broadband stuff etc. I've got a DNS issue at the moment. Our DNS server sends requests to the following BT DNS servers that are no longer responding: 194.72.0.114 & 194.74.65.68. Are these servers decommissioned? Am I correct in saying I should now be using dns01.gpn.register.com....

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Re: DNS servers

No no, by the way these 2 dns servers should be fine.. incase they are having any problems use the following :

BT Employee

The 2 servers you listed should be working fine, BT DNS servers don't respond to pings so pinging them is no indication if they're active or not. The server you asked if you should be using is a BT name server for hosted domains (I use BT lightly, all BT hosting is done via Register now)
SP1

Thanks for that. I had an an afterthought when I posted that I might not be able to ping.

Is there a simple test I can perform to check that the DNS servers are serving correctly?

Cheers
SP1

Sorry, maybe I should have put more thought into my message first. DNS requests are being served when I ping bbc.co.uk etc. I issue I have is with ctml1.com. Requests are timed out. If I ping 207.45.112.189, that's fine. What I meant to ask, how can I test requests to another DNS server from a command prompt? I can then try to pin-point the issue.

Thanks Tony.
BT Employee

Has this been resolved now? I just pinged ctml1.com from my own BTBB connection and network-tools.com (Which uses different name servers) and both are resolving your IP ok.

Tony,

Re "how can I test requests to another DNS server from a command prompt? I can then try to pinpoint the issue.", use "nslookup" from a command prompt (ns = name server).

Assuming that you're on a Windows platform, open a command prompt then run "nslookup" either by it's self to launch the nslookup shell ("exit" returns you to the command prompt, or "?" display built-in help), or with the hostname you want to resolve (e.g. "nslookup www.bbc.co.uk"). nslookup will return the default dns server you are using and it's IP address, followed by the IP address and any alias of the hostname you queried. If you want to use a DNS server that is not your default to resolve a hostname, the IP / hostname of the server you want to use can be passed to nslookup as an option. Google "authoritative" or "non-authoritative" answers if you need that level of detail. If you want to record your findings easily, use the dos "pipe" command to send the output of the nslookup command to a text file, e.g "nslookup www.bbc.co.uk > answer.txt" stores the output of the DNS query in a text file called answer.txt. 

Hope this helps?