Desktop Help does not install on Windows 7

I recently received an email from BT with the following subject: Quick fix 'Desktop Help' from BT Business Total Broadband - Now Upgraded.

I followed the link, downloaded the application but when installing it an error message says that the installation could not continue. As email address I entered my btconnect.com email address and then I entered by home landline number.

Any help?

Regards,

Marco

Re: Desktop Help does not install on Windows 7

I have had the same experience.   But for what it is worth I don't think that the program offers a great deal and is probably not worth downloading.

Guru

Sorry about this, Marco, we are aware of some issues with the Desktop Help Assistant with Windows 7, particularly the 64-bit versions.

Many customers find this program helpful and it can greatly assist any troubleshooting done on the helpdesk.  We are working on this and a new version should be avaialble soon.

[ Edited ]

I just received the same email - however it flagged up as a spoof email because the download link itself is not from tld bt.com but from custhelp.com. While I appreciate this link might be genuine software every piece of advice I've seen would indicate this is a spoof and to be deleted immediately..

We would never download software and install on every pc on our network just because we get an email with a link in and certainly not when that link isnt on a known website. This is classic spoof email technique for installing harmful software or gathering user data ( your land line phone number linked with your email address is ideal data for other scams )  so to start using it for legitimate traffic sets a very dangerous precedent that frankly BT of all providers should not use or advocate.

Guru

Hi,

For reference - BT Help and Support pages:

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app

Yes it is annoying that BT (and other companies) tell you that they won't send you an email asking you to download stuff, and then send you an email asking you to download stuff.

That URL is genuine, but you should always check the actual site address when you arrive, in case the link has been masked.

Only thing I can suggest if you don't trust the link in the email is to go to http://myoffice.bt.com, click on the 'Help and Support' link and then search for Desktop Help.

Sorted.

Cheers.

Dave A

[ Edited ]

Much safer never to click links in emails ; with powerful active browser technologies and new exploits found every day there is always the chance a user will get caught out and install something destructive that their AV application doesn't catch.

It will be interesting to see how this problem evolves with the increased use of ipads etc where users are much more reluctant to type in an URL whereas clicking on a touchscreen link is de rigeur; I suspect there will be a new wave of targetted malware just for these rapidly evolving platforms precisely to exploit this element of human nature.

The bottom line is that for best practice BT should have asked its customers to log in to their account and search exactly as you have just advised and ideally host any such content on a bt.com sub-directory.

18-months later I'm still having the same problem.

Tried an 'Online Chat' with BT to ask for help on installing Desktop Help but was told:

'It's not a product we cover to be honest'

When asked Who does? response:-

'I'm honestly not sure who would assist with the product.'

If BT's online experts don't know who would assist with a BT product - then Who does???

Hi,

Email the details to support@btbroadbandoffice.com.  We do have a contact that we can raise DTH issues to, but it's not on the main helpdesk.

Include as much detail as possible about your system and the exact steps you take, details you enter, and error messages you get.

Dave