gwaelod

HTTP request hijacking

How can I stop the annoying adverts BT have started to replace my normal web requests with?

They call them 'alerts', but I have a registered email address for them to spam me with such things. I was demonstrating a new web system to client this morning and BT hijacked my session by telling me to download their software, it looked most unprofessional and is the kind of thing that can lose me business.

It's a stupid idea and I either want shot of it, or shot of BT.

Super User
sej7278

Re: HTTP request hijacking

i had one today, i was totally shocked as this is BUSINESS BROADBAND you know bt!

blocking us getting to websites just because you want us to download your stupid xp desktop tripe is not businesslike, when i get up in the morning to do business i do not have the time to wait for your adverts to render and click "not interested" twice.

i'd be horrified to see adverts thrust on us if we were personal users, but on a business account its unnacceptable.

gwaelod

I don't think they've thought this through.

What if you're in the middle of an important action on a website and you get redirected to BT's spam?

In my case it all started to go wrong when the page I was demonstrating lost all its style information because the stylesheet request was replaced with BT's rubbish. Then I couldn't do anything except view the 'alert' for about a minute. I looked a right idiot in front of my potential customer. I hope it hasn't lost me a sale.

Very annoyed.

BT, if you've got important information to pass on, email us. That's what every other company does, don't abuse your position as our provider.

BT Employee
Fiona

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have contacted the development team in question and updated the Desktop Help thread, they have advised that:

At BT we are very keen to offer applications to customers that can enhance the quality of the broadband service that we provide. More information on what Desktop Help can do is available here: http://www.bt.com/business/help/desktop While we accept that at present there is only a Windows version available, this does cover the vast majority of our customers.

To help us present this opportunity, we have recently started using the redirect facility for this service message, as when trialled it did allow us to successfully communicate the availability of Desktop Help to a large number of customers. We have set this to be viewed at first log in the morning to minimise any impact during the working day. Customers should only see this message once. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

We do believe that having this capability installed will, for most customers, help provide an even more reliable service and for this reason we would urge customers to install it. However if you do decide that Desktop Help is not for you at present, there is an easy click-through which will allow you, within seconds, to be back to your normal internet browsing.

Thanks for your comments, any feedback whether positive or negative is appreciated to enable us to continually strive to improve our service to our customers. Your comments will be fed into any future development of this tool.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.
Super User
sej7278

that is not good enough, that's just a load of marketing BS.

the page took minutes to render so prevented me from doing any work whilst i waited for it to download so i could click the button.

if you want to spam your customers at least make it opt-in or opt-outable, and preferably do it via email so at least we can just add you to a blacklist.

BT Employee
Fiona

Hi

I am really sorry that you are unhappy with the tool. I can understand how this is frustrating for you at the moment, but the desktop tool is a benefit to many of our customers. Your comments will be used to help in the development of the desktop tool.

Kind regards

Fiona

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.
Super User
sej7278

i'm not unhappy with the tool, i'm unhappy with the way BT is trying to force it on people.

could you please confirm that once we've clicked the "dont want it" button, we'll never get session hijacked again, otherwise i'm going to have to look for another ISP as thats not acceptable behaviour, unless BT is willing to pay me for loss of earnings and my time?

EEWorldwide

Seconded.

Message to BT Business regarding your intrusive spam.

As subscribers to a premium rate broadband service for the business community we should not be forced to recieve your intrusive spam advertising messages.

WE ARE THE ONES WHO PAY FOR THE SERVICE - If we need to know anything urgent - USE EMAIL, If you continue to hijack users connections the users will simply go elsewhere.

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL BT, BUT IT IS TO BE EXPECTED FROM YOU.

Shape up - or ship out!

Super User
sej7278

thanks for the support eeworldwide.

really BT, what are you playing at, you need to sort out your order delivery system and you need to stop being so immature with how you run your business.

whenever i view these forums or login to myoffice i can't believe how much like 10 year old children you are with all the twitter and blogs and web 2.0 crud. whose idea was forcing adverts on your customers, that sounds like someone with no business integrity whatsoever.

as a company who has a monopoly on the entire phone+broadband market in the uk, you do appear like a kid running a business from his bedroom.

BT Employee
Fiona

Hi

Thank you both for the feedback on the service, as i have previously said all feedback both postive and negitive help us work at improving our service and customer experience. Your feedback has been passed to the relevant team to help with future development.

In response to your question Sej7278, i have talked to desktop help who have said that this should only appear once, if you get this every morning or day. Please come back to us so we can look into the cause.

Kind Regards

Fiona