cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP range blocked on SORBS

calneleisure

A company I work for transferred their broadband service to BT on October 15th as part of a requirement for the BT ONE tariff plan.

Since then, we have had problems sending emails to some people (not all) as the email system says our address is a Dynamic IP address blocked on the SORBS database.

I have contacted numerous departments within BT, finally being put onto the IP Masters team, who said the block would be removed by last Thursday (bearing in mind this has been going on since the middle of October).

The block is still in place.  Does anyone know of any other way to force BT to get this blocked remove as its becoming a problem when they cannot send emails to customers and/or suppliers.

Error message reads: "< mail.calneleisurecentre.co.uk #5.5.0 SMTP; 554 RBL rejection: Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?217.36.81.154>"

I have contacted SORBS who said that as the owner of the IP range, BT need to contact them yet I have been asking various departments to do this since we discovered the problem and three weeks later it's still an issue.

I appreciate it's a SORBS issue, not any fault of BT's, but I'm going all roung the houses trying to get this problem resolved and both companies are pointing me back to the other one.

1 REPLY 1

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I have spoken to the technical team about your case. They believe you are experiencing problems because your mail server is on a dynamic IP address. If you get a static IP address and set that up on your mail server, you will then be able to request reverse DNS on the IP.  This means that a look up will show mail.calneleisurecentre.co.uk instead of  inaddr.btopenworld.com and would prevent SORBS and other filters blocking mail from your server.

For more advice on this you can contact the Technical Team.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.