cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOSS OF INTERNET CONNECTION

LJ

I have a BTHub5 serving a Desktop by an Ethernet cable and a Laptop by WiFi, both using OS Microsoft Windows 10. I've bee using both on these machines on Widows 7 since I installed the BT Hub at the the beginning of the year, with no real problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 in July I experienced no problem, but suddenly over the past few weeks I have been intermittently losing connection from my Laptop to the Internet, even with the machine near the Hub. The machine appears to be connected to the Hub, because when I tick my Hub reference I get the message "Disconnect", but also the message "No internet". Under my Hub reference is the message "Limited". I have assumed that the problem hasd arisen from Microsoft but, having made unsuccessful enquiries with the Microsoft Community. I am not sure. I would be grateful if someone at BT could help me on this. Is this a fault with the router? Is my Laptop no able to cope with the upgrade? Do I need to acquire a new Laptop? Or is there a simple answer. I have tried to connect with an Ethernet cable and this does not work.

Thanks in advance.

LJ  

4 REPLIES 4

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Bit of a coincidence that this only began after your upgrade but the rest of the information you give almost rules out your laptop being the issue.

Also the error you get being 'limited' tells me that you are not losing connection to the router.  If you were then the error would be 'unidentified network'.

However, if something has gone wrong with windows networking it would affect both lan and wifi and might say limited as well.  Limited means it's connected locally but the internet is down.

If the Internet is not going down and the light on your router is blue then it's unlikely it's the intertnet connectivity, although again you can't rule that out.  There's not enough information to give you a definite answer so need more info:

• Have you installed any anti virus?  if so, uninstall it and test.  Windows has a good level of security so it's fine to run without 3rd party AV, at least for this testing phase.  Some AV interferes with the built in security windows provides and can adversely affect networking.
  • Can you ping the router when it is limited?  (hold the windows key and press 'r' type cmd then type ping 192.168.1.254 into the black window) do you get replies when limited? also can you ping 8.8.8.8 ?
  • What fixes it?  rebooting the router or the computer

Thanks

LJ

Many thanks, and apologies for delay in reply. I have not applied any AV to Laptop since the original ESET which was on before Windows 10 (after which the connection worked for some time). Could this still make a difference to the connection?  I do not see whhy, in this case, I might have to remove the AV. Would simply muting it suffice? Also I'm having difficulty following the instruction re: the pinging the router and the use of the black space (where is it?) - I've never done this before; could you please be more detailed. Since I made my post the connection has been intermittent. Right now, the main screen says "You're not connected", with the other messages: "BT Hob Limited" and "No Internet".  I'm baffled as to why this should be so. I would be very grateful for any further help you couild give me.

LJ

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Have another read of the instructions about ping, what part of it are you struggling with? 

You asked if I think it would make a difference if you removed the AV but without more info it is just trial and error.  We're not going to know if it works until you've done it but there is quite a good chance that it is the AV...but you won't know until you remove it.  Disabling it might work, have you tried?

I've asked 3 questions that need to be answered to get the root of your problem and without these answers I can't tell you what the problem is.  There is no simple answer I'm afraid, it's all going to be trial and error at this stage!

Hope that's ok!

Thanks

spank
Grand Guru