cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected DNS connection issue

acloft887

Hi Everyone

My company has been experiencing something rather odd over the past few months. Every now and again our internet browsers stop loading a new page and state that they timed out due to a server problem. Even weirder is that all incoming traffic is fine ( we run a login system on some static IP addresses and they still work fine when the above problem happens) however all outgoing traffic going to an address fails. This leads us to assume it is a DNS issue. We first used BT DNS 194 / 64 addresses and after every instance of the above we restart the router the dns server address changed and it was working again. We have since changed to the OpenDNS server 208 address and still have the same problem. Our router shows a connected and active adsl signal.

Whilst writing this the problem has occured. I pinged www.google.com and got a wrong name entry but I was able to ping an external ip address. Restarted the router and I can ping www.google.com.

Last time I tried to tell BT of this problem the guy didn't have a clue and just kept asking about plugging the router into the test socket. I stated that the broadband was fine and that it was a DNS problem and he still said to do the above. In fear of spending another hour and a half going through this pointless scripted procedure I decided to try this forum.

We are using a DrayTek Vigor 2820 Router ( So BT just pass the buck anyway and blame our router instantly ). It might be a problem with the router but I wanted to know if anyone else might have found that it wasn't and that they might know another way around it.

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1

paragon123
Power User

DNS issues are the quickest to be resolved. 

nslookup google.com
Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 74.125.235.51

If you cannot ping google.com but can ping one of its IP address (ex. 74.125.235.51), then thats 100% DNS issue. You can just set a static free DNS over the internet like 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1. Problem solved.