Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft’s Changes to applications using Basic Authentication

VickyK
Administrator
Administrator

What’s changed? 

Basic authentication capability has been removed by Microsoft, our email supplier, and many others in the email industry.  

Why are these changes happening? 

Basic Authentication makes it easier for attackers to capture user credentials which can put users at risk. 

It’s an outdated industry standard, and the threats posed by it continue to increase. 

Microsoft’s decision means that customers will likely move from apps that use Basic Authentication to apps that use Modern Authentication to make their accounts more secure. 

What does this mean for me? 

This changes the way you’ll be able to access your emails. If you use a Mail Client like Outlook, Thunderbird or MacMail etc, this means you’ll no longer be able to send or receive emails this way.  

You can still access your emails via a browser on a laptop, Mac or PC or via the Outlook App on tablets and mobiles.

What does browser based access mean ?

Outlook Web Access is a fantastic, easy and agile way to access email. It;

• Works from any (connected) PC or mobile device anywhere - never be without access to your mailbox again.
  • Contains the most common and up to date mail client features – with the improved security of modern authentication.
  • Looks and feels just like a mail client.
  • Has easy to use junk filtering (block/whitelist senders and domains).
  • Contains customisable themes to suit your style and mood.
  • Even allows you to;
    • create sub folders
    • save contacts
    • add to calendars
    • create and use email signatures
    • setup mail forwarding
    • create user groups
    • activate out of office auto replies

Not to mention signing in is really simple, and many common devices will remember your login details and sign in for you.

You can access your email at www.office.com or via business.bt.com if you prefer.

Here are some relevant links which may help:

How do I move my mailbox from BT Business to another provider? | BT Business

How to download & backup emails from Outlook | BT Business

Setting up Office 365 Business Essentials with a new domain | BT Business

^VickyK

26 REPLIES 26

kelper
Guru

A business of any size should be registering its own domain.  Then it can choose who hosts it. It's quite easy to change hosts and keep all your websites and emails.  Never tie into your broadband provider's email or web hosting.

I'm self employed, but I learnt this decades ago.

dmacsee

Hi.  Is it not possible to configure Outlook (PC installed application) with my Office365 subscription to use my btconnect email from?

I work in aviation; I cannot always be online (connected to a browser).  Is BT only offering btconnect email via an active online connection?    Seems a backwards step so I'm hoping I am wrong.

Further to above, if Thunderbird is today already capable to support modern auth protocols, why does BT not enable its Microsoft infrastructure to allow the use of Thunderbird?  (I use Thunderbird today for my btconnect email. It supports SSL/TLS & OAuth2))

mike_coreit

@kelper These settings don't work for btconnect any more

kelper
Guru

I have just accessed my BT email in Outlook (Office 2021) using these settings

POP

Server outlook.office365.com

Port 995

Encryption TLS

outgoing

Server smtp.office365.com

Port 587

Encryption  STARTTLS

Hi,

I have the same issues regarding local emails and now can only use web mail. i understand outlook 2013 can be configuered to use the new more secure login process and posted by microsoft, as below link

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/security-and-compliance/enable-modern-authenti...

i tryed this and still unable to download emails as required, it seems bt servers are not configured to communicate with the patched outlook.

Please can Vicky or someone from bt provide the details for the patched/updated outlook  to work. the bt sites still giving out instructions for pop3 even when not in use anymore?

Thanks

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi mzmarts78

You can only use Outlook Web Application now here: https://login.microsoftonline.com/

Can you please private message me where the website is giving out the pop3 details still please?

^BethM