cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't configure email with bt hosted domain name

meldrewmike

I have a .co.uk domain registered with BT but with the website on my own server on my business broadband link. I have working Email Lite btconnect.com emal addresses but am trying to set up an email address with my own domain name rather than btconnect.com. In the past this was done on BT using email aliases but these no longer seem to be available. A usual the BT help is useless. The only references I can find are years out of date. Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4

martin_pearce21

BT tech support advise that it can take up to 5 days for domainname to show in drop menu (create email account) so that the domainname can be associated with a BT email address.

You may also need to set up a DNS email record (manage your domain - advanced)

CNAME    mail    mail.btconnect.com    
MX    @    ibmr.btconnect.com    10

this should then allow  bob.smith@domainname      (instead of  name@btconnect.com)

markp
Grand Guru

Hi martin_pearce21

Thank you for posting but the information you have is incorrect. Once a domain name has been added to an account it should show almost instantly to allow you to creat an @domain mail address.

The first time you create a domain email address it will send an email to the main/primary @btconnect.com email address on the account, within this email it will generate an MX record to allow you to update the DNS details of the domain.

Once this is done and the email addresses is validated you can start creating more domain email address on the account.

Markp

martin_pearce21

Sorry about the previous incorrect posting.

Yes, as you said...  and I've just had confirmation fom BT that a manual entry of a DNS (email) MX record is no longer required, since they changed over to Microsoft email services.  

I've been told that there is currently an interruption in an automated process, concerning email domainname updates, and that this should be fixed within the next 48hrs.  

martin_pearce21

It was quite a few days, but eventually my domainname appeared in the drop down option of the  "Manage Services...Create Email Account".  So providing BT have control of the domainname (I purchased the use of mine directly from them and there is an option to 'import' one), the domainname will appear in the tool, within 5 days, without any other additions.  If it doesn't then it's a support call.