Accepted Solution

Error code #5.4.6 - what does it mean and how do I fix it please?

I have a problem with my BT account that has just happened (it was working okay until today and I haven’t made any changes)

It is in the error message below,

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.  Contact your administrator.

<HESA02UKER.HE.LOCAL #5.4.6>

with the following solution

• Numeric Code: 5.4.6

Possible Cause: A Categorizer forward loop was detected.
    The targetAddress attribute is set on a mailbox-enabled user. Hosting Pack: This is a common hosting configuration problem when someone creates a contact in organizational unit (OU) 1 and then creates a user in OU 2 that has the same e-mail address by using the user provisioning tool.

Troubleshooting:
  • This issue occurs when contactA has an alternate recipient that points to contactB and contactB has an alternate recipient that points back to contactA. Check the alternative recipient for every contact.
  • Check and remove the targetAddress attribute from mailbox-enabled users.
  • For hosting where you want to send mail from one user in one company (OU) to another company (OU), it is best to configure the following two related objects:

User: SMTP proxy: user@company.com
Contact: targetAddress: user@company.com; SMTP proxy: contact@company2.com

I had successfully imported my ISP to BT, created aliases and diverted mails. It was all working fine, then it stopped doing so yesterday

What does it mean and how do I fix it please?

Re: Error code #5.4.6 - what does it mean and how do I fix it please?

Okay, it was forwrding its mail back to itself, my bad.

problem resolved