cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failover internet for BT Cloud Voice

paulcormorant

Hi, 

Please can someone recommend a way of having a backup / failover internet access in the event the bt infinity should be unavailable?

In the past I had a peplink load balancer setup with both a 3g dongle and a 2nd fibre connection by another isp. The peplink load balancer does not seem to be the best option for BT Cloud Voice as it adds another firewall to the equation which creates a high ping rate. I really need something automatic so if I am out of the office it fixes itself in the way the load balance used to work when we were on isdn.

Our computers are also connected to the internet via the Cloud Voice handsets.

Thank You!

2 REPLIES 2

lsmithx2

Hey,

I have setup a DrayTek Vigor 2860 to have the standard VDSL setup on one line and then setup another broadband line on WAN2 to failover to once it detects that WAN1 has lost its connection.

It works very well and as soon as WAN1 disconnects to takes not even a second to switch over to the WAN2 connection. We also have the ability to failover to 3G/4G if both connections fail.

DrayTek routers are very good at this type of thing I find but maybe some cheaper alternatives if you are on a budget.

lsmithx2,

I need to pick your brains as I trying to setup failover on our  Draytek Vigor 2860.  We are currently migrating from a Plusnet  business account to BT Halo lines  with supplied  Smart Hub 2 routers.  Our first line migrated is our customer & volunteer's WiFi.  This is working and was our  learning platform.
On the  2nd line is our business  broadband (Admin and EPOS) currently running off the Plusnet ADSL.  I want to failover to WAN2 (Ethernet) to the 1st migrated line initially, once tested  and proved to be working then we can migrate the  2nd line to BT.  

We have  a small  window in November  to migrate the 2nd line during our 1 month down time before starting our Christmas season, we are a tourist attraction staffed by volunteers. 

Once the  migrated  2nd line is live I can transfer WAN 2 ethernet over from the 1st to the 2nd and make this  business broadband permanent.

What setting do I need to configure on the SH2?
What specific setting did you make on the 2860 over and above the information in the   DrayTek's

"How to configure WAN Backup or Failover",  document ?

I hope you can help us.

JohnP