cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 broadband connections

redalphababe

If I had two seperate broadband connections coming into the office network (using bt business hubs) can I get particular pcs on the network to access the internet on a particular chosen router and the rest on the second.  How do I configure to stop all pcs from using the broadband on just the first router they come to.  We have "NOT FAST ENOUGHT YET"  broadband and I am thinking 2 connections will give me fewer machines sharing bandwidth on each line and have the added advantage of giving me a backup if one of the lines were to go down.  How do I configure this or can you point me to a publication or helpfile that will show me how to configure.  Our pcs are a mixture of xp windows 7 server 2008 and server 2003 and they are all networked via ethernet through a switch - no wireless.  Last time I asked this (about 2 years ago) it was a question I put to somebody in BT broadband telephone support and also I asked a bt salesman and both said it couldn't be done but surely it can!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tom41

I have just done this through Sharedband and it works fine.  I have 3 lines bonded together each giving c5MB so I get c15MB usually.  A few configuration issues with our firewall etc but the Sharedband tech support guys are very good indeed. Definitely worth considering and happy to answer any questions.

Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

markp
Grand Guru

Hi redalphababe,

What you are looking to do, is known as either a bonded service or shareband. If you go to BT shareband this explains the product that BT supply for this type of service.

Regards

Mark

Jessica

Hi,

This is just a suggestion, if you want two internet connections why don't you try for proxy servers. I think it will work fine.

I haven't tried it, just an opinion.

tom41

I have just done this through Sharedband and it works fine.  I have 3 lines bonded together each giving c5MB so I get c15MB usually.  A few configuration issues with our firewall etc but the Sharedband tech support guys are very good indeed. Definitely worth considering and happy to answer any questions.

Tom