cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden deterioration in bt total broadband service

redalphababe

Hi

Has anybody else experienced a noticeable SUDDEN degradation of their internet service since the big broadband outage bt experienced on October 3rd.  It seems to me since around the same time we have experienced some serious problems though it is hard for me to pinpoint whether this is the actual event that triggered it or a coincidence.  Basically files that used to take 3-5minutes to upload are suddenly taking up to an hour to upload and we have general very slow service.  Also as soon as anybody is doing something to takes any bandwidth it produces times out for others who are just trying to browse web pages.   I have ruled out our network by testing speeds through our normal network setup and 1 computer directly into the test bt socket which didn't give me any different stats.  I have spoken to bt broadband several times who have done tests - have found "line errors"  , sent an engineer out who switched us to a different line, referred it to engineers who have reported "they have fixed errors and it should be okay now"  all to no avail.  I have put a new router on - no change.   It has been bounced back once again to engineers once again and I am waiting with bated breath to see if somebody will actually fix our problem.  The router with  same service at a site 7 miles down (but using the same exchange - we are 1/2 mile from the exchange so it should be better)  is giving me down of 5184 and up of 448kbs, this connection router is stating down of 2848 at the moment and 128kbs upload.  I believe that the higher rates are somewhere near what we used to get on this router prior to the week of the 3rd october - this would tie in with the sudden uploading problems.  The problems are affecting us severely to the extent that my people cannot do their jobs.

My dsl stats are

Down Up
Modem Type:Built in modem - ADSL
DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Current DSL Connection:

Rate:2848 kbs128 kbs
Max Rate:2748 kbs140 kbs
Noise Margin:6.0 dB6.0 dB
Attenuation:63.0 dB31.5 dB
Output Power:18.4 dBm-2.7 dBm

Protocol:G.DMT Annex A
Channel:Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry: {46336} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {4101 }
ATM PVC:0/38

Rate Cap:2748 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz:63.0 dB
Uncanceled Echo:24.2 dBSuspicious - check phone filters and alarm
VCXO Frequency Offset:-35.2 ppmOk
Final Receive Gain:25.9 dBOk
Excessive Impulse Noise:0Ok
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

redalphababe

Hi

finally probelm solved - after another complaint to bt broadband a couple of days ago I got a lovely knowledgeable openreach engineer who came out and tested the line which appeared to have no problems and then hooked up his laptop to the hub.  He immediately said that the up and down capablity speeds that were showing in the summary bit of the hub should have been somewhere near those showing on his little tester plugged straight into the line.  He replaced the hub with yet another one and bobs your uncle we were back in business with something like our previous performance.   It is impossible to say whether SCENARIO 1 orginally there was a different problem or line fault which was solved with an early line reset or with connection to a new line but the replacement hub being faulty had introduced another fault or whether SCENARIO 2 my original hub developed a fault and the replacement hub was faulty out of the box.  The broadband network gods work in mysterious ways.

So the moral of the tale - don't assume that a hub being replaced not fixing the issue rules out the hub - look at the entries carefully and point out anything that looks out of kilter to helpdesk.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MHC
Guru

Try monitoring the line using Router Stats Lite - free do download and use.

Run it for 24 hours recording Sync and SNR in both Up and Down Directions.   Use 1 minute sampling.

Then host the recorded images and post links here.

Also,   can you seee the Sync log?   What are the historic sync speeds?

redalphababe

Thanks for replying to me - well I have downloaded router stats and have set it to monitor what is listed in the router stats- the noise margin and the rate - is this the same as sync and snr?  Don't know what SNR is and cannot see it on my router stats page and I don't see anything described as a sync log.  I have a bt business hub 2701. 

MHC
Guru

Rate = Sync

Margin = SNR

So yes you are monitoring the correct values.

The Sync Log could be called training history but as I use my 2701 on Infinity I cannot seee the page.   Try looking in SETTINGS >>>> DIAGNOSTICS >>>> DSL  

redalphababe

Hi

finally probelm solved - after another complaint to bt broadband a couple of days ago I got a lovely knowledgeable openreach engineer who came out and tested the line which appeared to have no problems and then hooked up his laptop to the hub.  He immediately said that the up and down capablity speeds that were showing in the summary bit of the hub should have been somewhere near those showing on his little tester plugged straight into the line.  He replaced the hub with yet another one and bobs your uncle we were back in business with something like our previous performance.   It is impossible to say whether SCENARIO 1 orginally there was a different problem or line fault which was solved with an early line reset or with connection to a new line but the replacement hub being faulty had introduced another fault or whether SCENARIO 2 my original hub developed a fault and the replacement hub was faulty out of the box.  The broadband network gods work in mysterious ways.

So the moral of the tale - don't assume that a hub being replaced not fixing the issue rules out the hub - look at the entries carefully and point out anything that looks out of kilter to helpdesk.

redalphababe

Just as an aside the attenuation figure on the hub was really high - that was another thing that pointed to a hub issue