cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 weeks for a new phone line??????????!!!

sunshinemike

Absolutely unbelievable!

At a time when we are being encouraged to start a new business to get the country out of the recession I am trying to 'do my bit'

I have started a new bsuiness, taken on new staff and just signed a lease on an office.

I signed the lease yesterday and phoned BT to get the telephone/broadband line transfered to me.

There is already a telephone line to the offices and the previous occupant had a broadband connection.

I am told it will be two weeks to get the line transfered back to BT (the provious occupant used another supplier) and a further 5 working days to connect the internet!!

Thats THREE WEEKS - during which time I am paying for offices, employing staff etc but cant actually do any serious work as we dont have phone/internet.

Come on guys... there is a line already to the premises. All that needs to be done is move a few 'jumpers' at the exchange - no engineer visit, nothing.

I undertsand the 'rules and regs' regarding Openreach providing equal service to all suppliers etc etc but it is EXACTLY the same as an electricity supply. I moved into the office, made one phone call to a power utillity company and within minutes the electricity was in my name. Why is it different with telephones??

If any new business has to wait 3 weeks before they can start trading properly simply because of the way BT/Openreach work then how much is this costing the country?

There must be a way I can get phone/broadband working in a shorter timescale????

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Mike

P.S. If these delays are 'standard lead times' as I have been told - then why are they not publicised prominently on the BT website? Also, why are customers not told until AFTER they have placed the order? I went through the whole ordering process on the phone (30 minutes) only to be told right at the end of the order process that the installation wouldn't happen for 3 weeks. If you are offering such a poor service the least you can do is be open and honest and not hide such important information from your customers. I feel mis-informed and more than a little angry.

2 REPLIES 2

Davel
Super User

I think that you will find that these timescales are because of Ofcom rules.

tidaltides
Power User

What does it says in the Ofcom rules anyway?