cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBV problems: Dropouts, echo, failed calls

PBC66

Hi all,

Looking for any pointers to help a client who has been using business BBV for a couple of months.  

The initial setup with a 220V modem/router was disastrous with very bad echo much of the time, frequent dropouts, service often locking up and requiring a reboot, and similar problems.    In conversation with BT Customer Support this was diagnosed as a software incompatibility problem, as the 220V was running version 3.01 firmware. 

Since then I've gone through both 220V and 2500V routers running different minor variants of 3.03 and 3.30m firmware.  At present they're on a 2500V with the 3.30r revision, which I understand to be the latest firmware for that router.

They are still reporting that calls are plagued with frequent dropouts and sometimes echo, and that calls to valid numbers sometimes fail (N.U. tone).  I've verified this myself while testing the system. 

The DSL connection is rock steady, with the premises only a couple of hundred yards from the exchange: 8Mbps downstream with >16db noise margin, 448kbps upstream with >20dB margin.  BER tests run for extended periods give consistently zero errors. 

So are we just looking at congestion problems over the internet?  I was under the impression that BT applied prioritization to VoIP packets for its own BBV service, but maybe I'm mistaken.  As a matter of interest, does anyone know where the servers for a business BBV service would be located for a business served out of Stalham exchange in Norfolk?  At the system X main in North Walsham? 

They're now at the point of saying that if we can't sort this out very soon they'd rather abandon the service and return to paying more for calls, and maybe have me convert an existing PSTN line to ISDN2e to get an extra line.

3 REPLIES 3

whizzbang
Super User

Reckon your best bet here would be to upgrade to a BT Business Hub. This handles voice prioritisation much more efficiently in my opinion.

cheers

burnsies02

It sounds like conjestion or latency somewhere in the chain.

I'd run a traceroute the gateway to check for excessive hops. It is very important that there is low latency in the network, as this will cause packet loss, which translates to the type of quality probs you mentioned. Perhaps there are local routers that can be rationalised?

Also any routers installed need to run QoS to prioritise the voice packets.

Make sure you have set traffic to UDP, rather than TCP, and that you have not restricted the switch to use only G.729, G.711 is more tolerant of packet loss, but this is clutching at straws and only away of overcoming a bigger problem further up the link.

Taffyman

We are a company using VOIP, we have 4 handsets that are connected to a router, we get many faults at least every day one or more of the following.

Dead lines on incoming (can't hear caller)

Dead lines when calling out, shows ringing but silent after pickup

We reset phones by turning the power off - occasionally works.

Unplug and reset router, always works - BUT after a while the problem reappears.

***EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING & EMBARRASSING***

Any ideas to cure this problem would be most helpful.

BT Falcon phones and BTFusion Hub.