cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub 3, SBS 2003 - only connecting to Google and You Tube searches

allaboutq

Hi 

I hope someone is able to help.

On Monday afternoon, we suddenly lost the ability to connect to any websites other than Google and You Tube.

On our BT Broadband connection, via the BT Business Hub 3, we run a Small Business Server (on version 2003 I think) and also have remote connection via VPN.

All users are able to receive email to their computers either in the domain (office based) or via the VPN connection. However, emails are not being received on any other connections (iPhones etc).

And then obviously we have no internet connection (except to the google and you tube search engines).

The strange thing is I have tried to ping websites via the cmd.exe and this seems to work absolutely fine.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and if there is a known fix for it? Logically it seems something is blocking us from the wider internet - but on another forum I have seen someone suggest this isn't likely. Perhaps it's a router problem? 

We have previously had difficulty with BT service provision and I would hope that we can solve this without needing to go through their fault team!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Clare

2 REPLIES 2

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

I'm sorry you've had problems with other areas of BT.  Pity all areas of BT aren't alike.  You'd actually be surprised.

Anyway if you're able to get some web pages then it's likely to be your server, and might be your DNS settings, although a DNS issue should in theory affect all your web pages.  Do you have your DNS set to be picked automatically, or do you specify servers?

Also what happens when you try to connect a computer directly into the router rather than going through the server?

Dave

zetty
Exactly the same problem: email works, skype works, but as about web only Google and some of the BT sites work.. All settings are fine, troubleshooter doesn't find any problems, and most surprisingly: ping and nslookup works on any sites fine as well.

Where's the problem then?