cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub 953 - Only allowing one wirless connection

ryantgw

HI Folks,

The problem I have is that only one laptop can connect to the internet wirelessly. We have 4 laptops that can all see the router and connect to it no problem but there is no gateway to the internet.

The one laptop that can connect has to perform a factory reset of the router before it connects. If i move out of the wireless zone or shut the laptop down I have to factory reset the router again to be able to connect to the internet.

I have rung Bt and they have checked the line and said everything is ok, the guy then said it was my fault as I had given the router a factory reset. The router is 6 months old.

Does any one have any ideas?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ryantgw

Right a bit strange but we have managed to get everything working.

The problem was to do with a patch panel / switch we actually come out of the router and send a cable down the switch over a fibre optic and into the engineers workshop which is 120 metres away. It seem the switch was changing everyone's IP address and messing everything up.

We have disconnected the cable out of the router into the first switch re-booted the router and everyone up this end of the building is on wi-fi and happy.

Im not a IT person so I don't know all the details...I have someone looking at the switch for problems.

Thanks for you help.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MHC
Guru

Business Hub 953 ...

What is it?     Does it have a manfacturers name and part numbers?

JohnE
Guru

That's probably the wireless SSID, MHC.

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

What OS is the rogue laptop using?  I've read that Windows 7 has had a lot of issues with wireless.

Cheers.

Dave A

MHC
Guru

Unless the hub is faulty ... my gut feel is that teh laptop(s) are the cause.

I have around 30 or more wireless devices linked, enabled and permitted on my business hub and often several of those will be running at any time and never any problems.

ryantgw

Sorry for the delay....BT have sent a new router and I still have the problems.

The router is a 2 wire 2701HGV-C.

My OS is windows 7.

I cannot connect to the internet with any other device i.e HTC / I Phone yet they can all connect to the router.

The only way I can get out on the router is to factory reset it I can then connect to internet no other device can get on the internet but they can all connect to the hub.

Cheers for the help

OldWolf
Guru

Heya,

Thought so.  Windows 7 has issues where a wireless signal just won't work with it, even if everything else can see it.

Here's the main link I found:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-wireless-connection-...

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Dave A

p.s. in a slightly ironic note, my lass just recently got a new comp with Windows 7, and it works perfectly with our Home Hub 2.  From what I read the issue is completely random at present.

OldWolf
Guru

Ah just read the other bit.  Other stuff can connect to the router, but not get out to the world.  Not so sure on that one.

Have you checked if your devices can actually bring up the router interface when they are connected?

Cheers.

Dave A

zzZZzz
Power User

Correction.

Disregard my comment about firewall/security software on your PCs.  I failed to read you also appear to be having problems when using smart phones too ?

ryantgw

Right a bit strange but we have managed to get everything working.

The problem was to do with a patch panel / switch we actually come out of the router and send a cable down the switch over a fibre optic and into the engineers workshop which is 120 metres away. It seem the switch was changing everyone's IP address and messing everything up.

We have disconnected the cable out of the router into the first switch re-booted the router and everyone up this end of the building is on wi-fi and happy.

Im not a IT person so I don't know all the details...I have someone looking at the switch for problems.

Thanks for you help.