cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Business Hub - Firmware Flash policy and legality question.

TimDurham75
Power User

I have the BT branded 2Wire 2700HGV business hub which was provided with my BT Business Broadband connection. I have been using this configuration for 4 years. Last week, without any prior notification or request on my part, BT applied a firmware update to this device, remotely, impacting its functionality and the web app configuration layer of the device.  This has, of course, occurred before, periodically during the lifetime of the hub.

In general, most updates are a good thing - there are many reasons why such may be required or desirable: improvements to the system, addressing any bugs or security issues and so on and I do not disapprove of this aspect, as such, in any way. However, this specific update is very different in one very significant way; which I wish to highlight; and I seriously question the legality of what has been done and I am looking for any comment on this and also to warn any other users of this device because I am horrified at BTs behaviour.

This hardware is (or rather was) a dual SSID device - it supports two separate wireless connections: a primary WiFi network and also a second WiFi network, on a completely separate IP subnet and SSID. This secondary network was intended to support Smartphone connections. Notionally this is for "Fusion" phone usage but this is not its sole capability and a Fusion phone or Fusion service is not required to use this feature of the device - indeed device documentation refers to any compatible Smartphone technology. In my case it supported the usage of a Blackberry Smartphone over WiFi, separate and independent from PC network. BT, of course, no longer offers a Fusion service.

My anger and concern is that this latest update, 6.3.9.63-plus.tm has removed this dual SSID capability from the device. The second network now no longer exists - the web configuration application of the hub has been updated to remove all aspects of this feature so it can no longer be accessed or utilised. So, this device no longer matches its own attached markings or its documentation or features. It is no longer a dual SSID device as the capability has been disabled and "removed" by the "update".

My first indication that there was a problem was when the Blackberry device failed to connect to WiFi. Given recent well publicised failure of the Blackberry network I did not initially associate the connection failure with anything to do with the hub - it was only when the problem persisted that I tracked down the actual cause. Reconfiguration of the Blackberry to use the remaining primary connection SSID, is trivial but of course no longer has network or IP subnet isolation - devices now must use the same scope as the PC network.

I had contacted BT support on Live Chat but without obtaining any satisfactory answer - the agent expressed the expected "apology" and "sympathetic understanding" for my concern and said they would log my complaint, but the best that could be offered was to apply a "downgrade" to my device but, of course, that is not really a solution: it would leave me "in the dark" and isolated, for any future upgrades or changes, and so is not acceptable in the long term. In real terms it was effectively claimed that nothing could be done, and that, as my actual broadband connection was unaffected, there is not really any issue to be addressed?  [This is not strictly true – the Blackberry cannot connect in the manner it did previously but it can with some reconfiguration.]

Does anyone have a view on this, especially if you have legal experience? I am appalled at this attitude and find it completely unacceptable and intrusive.  I do not believe it can possibly be legal and would like someone to explain under what Terms it possibly could be something that I agreed to, or permit to occur, under my BT provision – that they can unilaterally and arbitrarily remove features from the router like this, at any time?  Consider that the removal of this feature does not have anything to do with my actual broadband connection service provision, which is what I believe I contract them to provide.  The internal operation of the hub within my infrastructure should not be their concern providing it does not interfere with the BT infrastructure in any way.  This kind of fundamental change to the device cannot possibly be regarded as an “upgrade” in the normal sense – it removes features.

Let us change the scenario for another “well loved” analogy - your car undergoes maintenance by the dealer. During this event the mechanic arbitrarily removes interior features of the car; perhaps from the dashboard display; or any similar arbitrary thing. When you notice and complain the dealer explains that this does not actually impact your ability to drive the car so there is nothing to be addressed or that you can do. Would you find this acceptable? I believe not - I cannot find anything in the Terms and Conditions which would remotely suggest that BT has any right to fundamentally remove features from the Hub hardware, in this manner, especially when it is not to its own original specification, now. Whilst they certainly can choose to change their service offering; including the withdrawal of a Fusion service; I do not believe this should give them any rights over the operation of the hub or its features. The two are not directly related as the "Fusion" compatibility of the hub is not exclusive to that service - as explained.

Anyone?  Do you think this behaviour is acceptable?  Am I alone in finding this objectionable?

20 REPLIES 20

TimDurham75
Power User

I have just this second got off the phone to a Manager at BT, called with regard to separate ongoing connection issue.

He has stated that the whole ownership aspect of the hub is exactly as I have always believed is the case:

1) I own the hub hardware, not BT.

2) BT maintain it under my service subscription level - that replacement in the event of a fault is down to that service level agreement and the "included" element but not that they continue to own the hardware.

So, I conclude from this that all my original concerns remain:

BT appear to be in breach of their own Terms and Conditions with this alteration to functionality.

That I do not believe such a unilateral removal of device features can be, itself, legal - BT can and have altered their service offering with regard to Fusion.  That is their right, and I have no quibble there - I did not contract them to provide me a Fusion service.  I do not believe it is acceptable or related that this gives them any rights over removal of the WiFi capability from the hub - the two are not directly related.

Fundamentally the hub does not match its own physical markings that describe its capability - that it should support a WiFi Fusion SSID.  It no longer does - since the "upgrade" the hub is no longer as documented or "fit for purpose" in that specific regard.  If I own the hub then it is no business of BT how I choose to utilise it providing it does not interfere with their infrastructure and is a legal operation in its own right so the fact that I personally used the SSID to provide WiFi access to Blackberry Smartphones as an "unsupported operation" from their perspective is irrelevant - they have no rights to remove the functionality and then claim it justifiable because I was utilising it in an "unsupported manner".  My usage and the action by BT are not directly related and this is not justifiable.

This is appalling customer relations and the arrogance and contempt for customers displayed by BT is simply astonishing.  I am deeply unhappy that I cannot actually find any "higher authority" that actually can arbitrate in this matter - that the regulatory bodies that exist do not seem to deal with either specific cases or with a remit that would cover a circumstance as specific as this regarding the legality of alteration of functionality within equipment owned by another party without any forewarning or prior agreement between the parties.  In the US do doubt this would be "class action" territory but under UK law I don't really believe there is any framework or protection available?

The fact that an alternative configuration is possible, in my case, does not alter the acceptability of the original change to my equipment.  At no time did I agree to that specific change.

It will likely be completely co-incidental, as they will claim, but the loss of my service provision following my complaint and public posting of this issue is a matter that has enough material to completely satisfy any "conspiracy buff".  If it ever turns out to be otherwise I expect "heads to roll" for gross unprofessional conduct.

[Edited to correct mangled sentence grammer.]

ecophon

Trust you will keep us updated....sadly most of our phones don't want to connect to the bt business network.

All the best.

TimDurham75
Power User

Thank you.

It was specifically for this reason that I really valued the second SSID that the Fusion element provided - it allowed the configuration of the separate SSID to use different level of security as many WiFi devices do not necessarily support the stronger encryption protocols for authentication.   I would absolutely not compromise my PC network just to satisfy the phone requirements but the original dual-SSID capability of this device allowed for the second network to, perhaps, be configured at a slightly lower or different setting from the primary WiFi, even WEP; which is known to be "broken" security; with complete safety.  Similarly, for those with other kinds of WiFi device, they possibly would not or could not use WPA2; that secures the primary SSID and PC WiFi network; but something slightly less on an isolated subnet was less of a concern.  I did, and have, allowed third-parties visiting to get WiFi access via that SSID with their phones.  This is currently no longer possible and the "Openzone" feature is something completely different and not under my control; except for "on/off" - as stated, I had no wish to provide full "Public Access" WiFi on my connection at this time which that particular service feature implies.

I will update if I get anything appropriate but I am certainly not going to hold my breath - my expectation is that BT will do nothing and, more frighteningly, that they see no reason why they should do anything.  That somehow the "we're sorry" is sufficient response for this inexcusable behaviour - it is not, but I could not afford, personally, to actually follow up the "legal route" fully against an institution of this size.  The fact that I find that I appear to have no rights in this manner or any kind of real protection flies in the face of everything I believe in and is a very sad state of affairs, in my view. Such bullying should have no place, anywhere.

ecophon

Here's my update - the router gave up the ghost at the weekend after a bunch of issues following the firmware update. It had performed flawlessly upto this point.

Have since bought a new router, so for me the story is over.

Good luck to the rest of you!

EarlswoodGLC

I'm so happy to find out we're not the only ones suffering (sorry Tim). I, as others have stated, thought it was from the power cut but now I find out that because of a Firmware update, which we were not notified of in any way shape or form, has removed functionality from our device.

We used Fusion so the iPhones, Blackberry's and other Internet enabled phones could receive E-mails as they will not work on the Business Hub (they do connect but will not work). Has anyone got any solutions to get these devices working on the Business Hub or is it just not possible? This is having an impact on our business because not everyone here works at a computer, we have people in our Manufacturing and Logistics Departments who use their phone's as the primary E-mail Client.

System Information:

Model:    BT2700HGV
Hardware Version:    2701-100589-005
Firmware Version:    6.3.9.63-plus.tm

TimDurham75
Power User

To EarlswoodGLC:

Almost same system as me:

Model:BT2700HGV
Hardware Version:2701-100588-005
Firmware Version:6.3.9.63-plus.tm

I seem to have fractionally different (?) hardware but:

I had no issue with reconfiguring phones settings to use the main SSID WiFi instead so, a number of things to check that may be required in the first place:

• You will need to change the WiFi settings on all devices to match the remaining SSID and its security, if they previously used the Fusion SSID.

• You may need to clear all devices on the hub to flush the DNS.  I found that switching SSID caused erroneous stale IP details to remain in the router.  [I personally cleared specific device entries using a very nasty hack that would not be wise to document here.]  But a proper clearance of all devices or a factory reset will start rediscovery.

• If you have MAC Filtering active you will likely need to temporarily turn this off until all devices have been registered and been approved.

• If you have Access Control; Time Scheduling and Content Screening; activated, as I do, then you may need to correct/check those details.  They could be blocking access depending upon what options you use.

• Depending upon your infrastructure, I do not use the default IP ranges, they are much too common creating routing issues for WAN and VPN so I manually configure to something much safer and unique for the internal network. I use a unique subnet in the private class A; 10.x.x.x range with a 255.255.255.0 mask.

• Finally, depending upon the size of your enterprise, the need to have all devices on the same SSID may have an unfortunate side effect if you are now exceeding the maximum number of devices permitted?  The hub only supports 64 devices on the DHCP scope.

I am not aware that the update completely blocks functionality - I have a number of different smartphones connected and working.

However, I think posts to this forum would suggest that there are some other additional new problems with this firmware and possibly with changes which BT seem to be currently making to their entire infrastructure that could be contributing to any issues.  I have very strong suggestion that this new firmware is introducing new problems beyond just the feature removal issue and it has been suggested offsite that BT may have stopped rolling out this update?

I am active, at the moment, but with some speed reduction on that experienced previously and with a marked increase in "glitches" where things suddenly stop responding or where the practical connection speed seems to be far lower than that supposedly reported by the broadband settings.  There is a marked increase in ATM and DSL errors but I cannot determine if the hub or the wider BT network changes are responsible.  I just note the service appears degraded.

EarlswoodGLC

Thanks for the reply Tim, from what I've been told the iPhones and Blackberrys have never worked on the Business Hub SSID, only on the Fusion on any of the previous Hubs.

I have cleared all devices and reset the router back to it's original state but still no luck, we also have a Revo Internet Radio which I believe used to connect to the Fusion, no longer works either.

We have the IP range set to 192.168.0.x and all mobile devices can see and connect to the Business Hub but the Internet doesn't work.

MHC
Guru

@EarlswoodGLC wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tim, from what I've been told the iPhones and Blackberrys have never worked on the Business Hub SSID, only on the Fusion on any of the previous Hubs.

I have several iPhones that connect to my hub through the normal SSID - they do not and never have used Fusion

TimDurham75
Power User

Just to clarify - none of the Smartphones or Blackberry were actually using Fusion (as a service) either - it is or rather was just another SSID that they connected to.   That is all.   If you looked at the routing table for that port all it was doing was redirecting to the same output as everything else anyway.

What I am aware of is that certainly in the case of Blackberry there can be an issue with your service provider and the service book records.   It is, in my view, a peculiarity of the Blackberry network that, in order to connect to any WiFi internet point, it must first make an ordinary data call back to the phone network to check for "permission" to connect - I find it strange that I should need any sort of "permission" to connect my phone to my router but there it is.....anyway, on a number of occasions the phone provider has made mistakes with the contract profile with the result that the service book has become corrupt or lost records.   When this occurs the BB could no longer connect to the internet.  Once the service provider corrected the contract issue, which was their mistake, then the functionality was restored. 

spank
Grand Guru

I've seen iPhones fail to connect to WEP, which is the default for the BusinessHub SSID.  Fusion defaults to WPA.  If you are having problems connecting on the hub SSID, change the security to WPA.

The removal of the fusion network is probably the result of customer feedback, it confuses some people and is limited to only 1mb bandwidth.  When you have several PC's connected to a hub, some to fusion, it causes all sorts of issues with workgroup visibility and shared printers etc.