cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Connect IMAP email settings?

Morfan
I have a BT Connect email address and want to use IMAP configuration to ensure emails deleted on my iPad are also deleted on the email server. This does not happen with the current POP / SMTP settings. BT Connect emails are delivered using Microsoft Office 365, after a change last year.

After 4 calls to BT helpdesks being given configurations for BT Internet / Outlook configurations etc, I was eventually given these settings but I just can NOT get them to work:
Incoming: imap4.btconnect.com, No SSL, Port 143
Outgoing: imap.btconnect.com, No SSL, Port 587

I spent an hour in the local Apple shop with one of their experts trying to configure my email account with IMAP - and Exchange - on my own iPad and a shop iPad and a MacBook laptop: all without success.

I tried a post on BT Residential Broadband Community forum and was given these settings which did not work to set up an IMAP account either:
Incoming: outlook.office365.com, SSL, Port 995
Outgoing: smtp.office365.com, SSL, Port 587

Does BT Connect actually support IMAP at all?
Surely I am not the only person with a BT Connect email address and an iPad wanting IMAP?
Please can a BT email expert advise?
13 REPLIES 13

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Morfan,

I am afarid @btconnect.com email address cannot be upgarded to IMAP, they can only be used as POP email accounts.

If you require an IMAP email address you can order Office365 for small business which will give you an exchange mailbox with IMAP funtionality, but this product cannot be used with an @btconnect.com email address, it has to be used with a domain name for domain name email addresses.

Markp

mollett

It is now 2015. Can btconnect.com work with IMAP setting yet?

If not, why not?

I see no advantage to having a POP account (unless I am missing something here).

Why should I have to change my email address to get this facility from a BUSINESS email account service.

Please advise.

Ian1974

Hi Mollett,

Imap is not available on btconnect.com email address and we have no current plans to introduce this.

We only offer Imap on our premium email services (office 365 small buisness and small business premium).

Kind Regards,

Ian - F -

BT Business Support

jdadley

Hi,

Why is it that ALL the on-line help not mention this is ONLY a premium service?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incomi...

Thanks

Plumly
Grand Master

jdadley, 

the help and support artical you have shown here is a Btinternet.com Artical and no a Btconnect.com

thanks

Plumly

glentress

I'm not sure the answer below is correct. I have had my btconnect account forever and it has gone through many changes, it was originally issued via a corporate i worked for that supplied the broadband for home.  It is now my personal account and I have 5 other email addresses attached to it.  If i want to view my email via a browser to check the spam folder, I have to loggin via Office 365/outlook.  I did and do not pay anything extra for this nor did I willing upgrade to have my email in 365 - it is a pain.

So if my btconnect account is in Office 365 already does that mean I can now set it up via imap???? As I also want to synce my mail across mac and ipad.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi glentress,

All our email is powered by Office 365, @btconnect.com email addresses are Office 365 lite, which means they are POP accounts.

You can set your emial address up in differfent programs/devices and as long as you tell each device to keep a copy of the mail on the server for X number of days, all the devices will synch with the Inbox, but just the inbox not any other folders.

Regards

Markp

CMGR

Is it possible to put a btconnect address through a third party service such as Rackspace so that it can be used as an imap account? I have had a btconnect address for 8 years and have so many contacts who use this address that it is going to take me ages to notify them all of a change of address - I cannot do a blanket change as there are lots of companies I do not want to give a new address to.

I hope that you tell all your new business clients that a btconnect address is pretty useless if they have more than one device.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi CMGR,

I am afraid ab @btconnect.com email address, can only be used on a BT server/service.  What you can do is setup forwarding on the btconnect.com email address to your 3rd party email provider, so that when you reply to your customers, they will get your new email address.

Markp