cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Connect won't send from Macbook Pro Mac Mail

haus

I have a btconnect account which I access through Mac Mail on my Macbook Pro (running Lion OS). I have set up the POP3 account using the all the correct details taken from BT's website.

I can recieve emails without any issues and occasionally send emails, but almost everyday Mac Mail fails to connect to the btconnect server leaving me unable to send emails without resulting to the clonky web based access.

I have contacted my ISP (Virginmedia) who say there isn't any block on port 25 and the issue is with BT. I have a personal virgin account on my Mac Mail which sends without any issues, so I can only assume the issue is with BT not my Mac.

Before, I switch my web hosting to another company, is there anything that I may have overlooked as I simply can't run a business without the function to send emails.

Look forward to your replies/ suggestions.

Haus

7 REPLIES 7

kuerten
Super User

Just to verify, do you mean that you have an intermittent issue on sending emails using an email client? If so, port 25 being blocked here would be the issue. If it is blocked, you can't send any emails at all. 

When ever you cannot send an email, trying to ping smtp.btconnect.com and see if you have a connection to their smtp server. 

Ping statistics for 213.123.20.93:
Packets: Sent = 132, Received = 131, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 339ms, Maximum = 546ms, Average = 358ms

Right now, you sould be able to send emails. 

haus

Ok thanks, I'll try that, but how does one ping smtp.btconnect.com?

Many thanks

Edit: I have tried that but still doesn't allow me to send. Any suggestions what I should do next?

popcornuk

Hi Mark,

If you are on a ViginMedia connection and trying to send your emails you need to enable outgoing authentication on mac mail. As your not on a BT connection the smtp server requires you to send your btconnect email and password.

When mail is open. Click Mail next to the apple logo at the top left. Choose Preferences.

When the window opens click on your btconnection account. Near the bottom you should have a list of your smtp/outgoing settings. Click on edit server. 

When the next prompt come up go to advanced and tick the option for authentication (should be selected as password) and enter your email address and password. This should work.

paul_brighton

I have a mac book pro and infuriatlngly I have to quit Mail and restart it to send emails every time and that doesn't always work. I keep getting a message:

"cannot send the message to BT"

and in the box BT(offline). But when I check with the connection doctor it connects fine with all green buttons.

ARGGH this is driving me bonkers. If I quit and restart Mail quite a few times I eventually get it to connect.

When it eventually sends mail (after restarting) I have to click the error message "mail can't identify the server BT" if click continue at this point it sends once then I have to go to the restarting Mail procedure a few times the next time I want to send.

I think I am going to have to move from BT to another provider.

Paul

2sharpen
I had same issue with my iPhone, just enter username and password in smtp settings and it works a treat

Brett

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Unfortunately I'm not having any success so far. Would you mind confirming that I need to to use the "username" of xxxxxxxx@btconnect.co.uk and not my personal username. I've tried both with no success yet but thought I'd confirm first. 

Further to this, when I get to outgoing mail server the box shows bt(Offline) should this be showing btconnect?

Brett

Please tell me how to ping on a Mac

Kind regards

Brett