cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTclick address effectively lost with new server settings

pamelap

I've had my btclick address since BT first started the btclick service.

I've just been migrated to the new 365 service.

I use Windows Mail on Vista Business.

Looking at email settings, the btconnect email address is the primary account, my btclick address has been set as an alias for that. So far so good.  I've continued to use my btclick address as always. This has worked fine up until this upgrade.

Setting up the new settings in Windows Mail : incoming pop.outlook.com port 995 SSL ticked

outgoing smtp.outlook.com port 587 SSL ticked - these settings work provided I have :

Under the General Tab - User Information - email address - the btconnect address

Under the Servers Tab - email address - Incoming Mail Server - Email username - the btconnect address

and Outgoing Server using same settings as Incoming.

ie. I cannot use my btclick address anywhere other then the "reply to" email address.

But I want to continue to use it to send mail so it still appears as the From address.

I don't understand why it won't work with the btclick address under the user information on the General Tab. (this gives an error - sender does not have permission to send.

I can currently fudge the issue by having  :

the btclick address under the user information on the General Tab

the btconnect address for the server settings under Servers Tab

pop.outlook.com / 995 / SSL ticked for incoming

smtp.btconnect.com / 25 SSL not ticked for outgoing

ie. using the btconnect server for outgoing, rather than the outlook server, alllows my btclick address to be the From address.

I'm not all that happy with this - I think outgoing ought to work the same for the outlook sever, so I can continue to use my btclick address as the From address with all the new settings and servers.

Anyone know how to do this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pamelap

Hi Steve

At the time this thread was started btclick did not work as stated in the first post.  Your user name solution would not have worked then. That was the problem.

BT have long since corrected this. btclick addresses in the user name field now work with outlook servers.

This thread should have been closed.

Sorry. Thanks for your concern.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

The whole btclick.com thing is currently being looked into.

To be honest btclick.com was removed as a server years ago, although it was retained as an alias of the @btconnect.com servers, as people were still using it.

I have been seeing cases relating to this, but I don't know what the situation is.  If I find anything out I'll post here, but I would advise raising a case with the Helpdesk anyway, as the more people people who let us know, the more quickly it should hopefully be fixed.

Dave

pamelap

Hi Dave

The Help Desk do not help.

I am glad to hear this issue is being looked into. The Help Desk did not even tell me this. They treated me like I was stupid wanting to continue using the email address I have used for the last >15 years.

Even if it is now an alias, it still ought to work properly, which it doesn't.

I have sent you a message.

Thanks

ngodfrey

Hello

I'm new to this forum having stumbled upon it whilst trying to find out why I am no longer getting any e-mails from my @btclick.com address. This happened just over two weeks ago, switched off my PC on Sunday evening, logged on Monday and nothing happened. This is most frustrating as it has worked fine for me for the past 15 years or so and now nothing. I have checked all my settings, pinged 'pop3.btclick.com' and received four good replies, tried another another internet provider and all to no avail.

So has buttock been dumped! I would like to add my weight to having this issue looked into by those at BT and to get it back working. I'd like to have the choice or notification of having to acquire a new e-mail address, not cut off and left to flounder.

Regards, Neil

pamelap

Hi Neil

I sent in a support request on this; the more of us who do, the quicker it will get resolved. So email them or phone and register your problem as a current issue to help make it more likely to get attention. ie, throw your weight in - just posting here does notachieve that!

I don't want a new email address forced on me after >15 years with btclick. I object to that too. Previous upgrades have preserved it. I don't see why this upgrade doesn't.

I totally rely on thhe btclick address; I can't see any way of informing everyone there's a new one, it would involve hundreds, if not thousands of internet accounts being changed.

Stephenc
Master User

Hi there,

I've seen a few of these being reported, I'm unsure if pop3.btclick.com still operates, however if you change the server to pop3.btconnect.com / pop.outlook.com you should still get the mail for your btclick address.

In terms of being able to use the btclick address on the new platform, it can be done.

It is set as an alias, therefore in the email address field you should enter your btclick address but in the username field you need to enter the btconnect address.

If you're still getting error's with this there is likely an issue at this end which can be looked into.

Thanks,

Steve

pamelap

Hi Steve

At the time this thread was started btclick did not work as stated in the first post.  Your user name solution would not have worked then. That was the problem.

BT have long since corrected this. btclick addresses in the user name field now work with outlook servers.

This thread should have been closed.

Sorry. Thanks for your concern.