cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route to get BT IP Profile sorted.

Ionactive

Morning All.

I know this is not an official forum to sort problems, but I am really just after some advice on the most efficient way of sorting the issue through raising a ‘fault’  - but avoiding all the fluff.

Basically I have the Infinity Business Broadband 80:20 service. I was told I could get 69:15 on the service and I was near enough getting this from day one (so far so good). After about a month I seemed to have problems with disconnections every few hours. This resulting in my IP line profile being reduced to 24:5. Since this, and for about a week now, the connection has stabilised and been up for a significant period. However, no change to the IP line profile. Other than not getting what I have paid for, the actual service is working OK, stable and still fast.

I understand that tweaking the line IP profile is not a simple matter of a technical person at the end of the phone pushing a dial (I think it has to be done by Open Reach??). What I do not want to go through is a whole procedure of plugging this in, unplugging that, looking for BT main socket (already plugged into it).. etc etc etc. I simply want the line IP profile adjusted upwards to what my line proved it was capable of. Whilst I also understand that I might be told the DLM will raise the profile in time, all I would say it was quick off the mark to reduce it, so I would expect it to be as quick raising it too.

Cheers for any advice.

Mark

6 REPLIES 6

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi Mark,

Right you have to bear in mind that IP profiles are mainly changed by automated systems.  It sees trouble and tries to conteract it quickly, but it has to trust a line for a much longer time before it increases it again.

It can be manually reset, but all that means is that it goes through the initial 10 day process again.

This is certainly how it works with ADSL on copper, and I believe it's the same process on fibre.

All you can really do is contact the Helpdesk and have them reset the profile, and then see what happens.

Dave

Ionactive

Thanks Dave

Well I put in a fault notification using the normal numbers on Monday. I was out on Tuesday but Open Reach turned up !! They said they did not need to go into premises, and went to work on the cabinet. A note was dropped through the door yesterday to say everything was now fine.

Checked the connection. Ping down from 45mS to 15. Upload up from 5 to 17 MBit. Download DOWN to about 19MBit. So some kind of partial solution but download not sorted yet. Whatever they did do has had a major effect on upload, and instant improvement. Does DLM not effect upload?

rgs

MArk

Ionactive

Ok OK - I take it it all back.

The tests ran last night gave me the results posted above. However, as noted the OR engineer never came inside. This morning I went down to the garage and had a hunch. Reset the modem (did not want to do this as I was worried IP Profile would get even worse).

Download - 68 MBits (IP Profile 69)

Upload 15 MBits (IP Profile 20).

That is more like it 🙂

I am not sure if this has reset to the 10 day learning period, or just the line performance post repair?

So far so good. I have to say that quite impressed with the speed of BT / OR sorting this issue.

Mark

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

Yay us.  🙂

Dave

brian1970

How long did it take to get the problem sorted from the initial reporting ?

Ionactive

Hi.

Well was reported about 1200 on the day I decided I had had enough of the fault.

THe engineer turned up at 1000 the following day (I did not know he was coming, but someone was around - phew).

The actual problem was sorted by 1200 on the day he arrived, but I did not realise this until the following morning when I restarted modem.

So, I would say sorted 24 hours max. In addition, two nice messages left on my mobile by BT Business asking if everything is OK. I cannot fault the service (other than the fault !!) this time around.

MArk