cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry UMA Support

cben

Thinking of BT Blackberry. Mobile signals in usage areas are weak so want to use WiFi for voice and not just emails.

Seems that to do this on a Blackberry the supplier has to provide "UMA Support".

Does BT do this?

6 REPLIES 6

Mackerg4

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. Can it really take three months for someone to reply? Looking at the posts in this forum, a lot of them just seem to go unanswered. I'm wondering if it's a dead end posting questions here. (It's in stark contrast to a similar forum on Vodafone which is very active and actively supported by the hosting organisation).

Bob. 

alastair
Grand Guru

it appears so. im not clued up about it since i aint got a blackberry but... upon googling BT and UMA (and sifting through uma thurman on BT vision adverts) i found a couple of sites indicating so

http://www.btgtm.com/BTGlobalTelecomNewsFixed/Article.asp?ArticleCode=94277169&EditionCode=18895851

thats just a little info on how the BT fusion network comes into UMA

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/118298-orange-uma-uk-working.ht...

the post from "alarmguy" suggests UMA is available with the BT business hub.

as i said this is all speculation since i've not got a blackberry to use

=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

martifers

I have an Orange Curve Blackberry with UMA.

After many hours taking to Orange and BT I now know that a BT Business Hub does NOT support UMA but a BT Home hub does!!!

This seems absolutely ridiculous as most blackberry users are business customers!

Orange tell me that the solution is to buy a different hub for BT Business.  Problem is that if anything goes wrong BT then wash their hands of the problem and say it is my router!

I would love somebody from BT Business Customer Support to concider its customer and provide a solution or at least give me a technical explanation.

James
Master User

Hi martifers, I sent this on to the relevant department to try and get some help for you and have just received this reply:

I have just received a response from 2Wire the 2700 manufacturer. The hub does not need any specific support for UMA it is just a pass through as far as the service is concerned. The 2700 supports Fusion which also utilises UMA technology and has therefore been proven in a live environment.

From your post it isn't clear whether you have tried out the service on a Home hub, if you have done so did you do this on the same line as the Business hub using the same WiFi encryption method at approximately the same time?

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

matti_v

Hey,

I don't think the issue lies with BT Business Hubs.

I've got two blackberrys, a curve 8520 on orange and a curve 8900 on BT.

Using a BT Business HUB, (2700) I've got UMA support on the orange curve (8520)

I set up my 8900 today when I received it and although it can connect to my fusion wireless network, it doesn't have UMA.

According to BT Mobile, no BT mobile device is compatible with UMA.

It's something which the WIRELESS SERVICE PROVIDER in this case BT, don't do.  However, the other wireless provider, i.e. Orange does, hence why I can have UMA on that device and not the BT one.

Hope this helps.

Matt

--
Apple. A crunch a day keeps Bill Gates away.

shaunie_67

Just to assist everyone here Orange are the only provider that provides UMA on Blackberry in the Uk - Now teamed up with T-Mobile will be available in early 2011 -  It does not matter what router you have its the service that is provided by Orange Only!

But for best results ensure Router is on N not G as better frequency and less interference all N routers are backward compatible