cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt bussines hub 3 drops broadband when enable bridging

perezjulioc

Hello, somewhere out here that can help me.

We just got a new business line using adsl (not infinity) and a bt business hub3.

We got this new line as we want to have 2 lines, one Virgin and one BT using a Vigor 2925 as the main router.

I connected the adsl and the bussines hub 3 and all ligths are flashing blue and everything works fine.

However once I change the hub through the configuration to bridge mode, the middle ligth goes redish and I get no connection to the Internet anymore.

Question is, is this normal?

Why I can not set the bt bussines hub 3 to bridge or modem?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Burkem5
Guru

Hi @perezjulioc 

The short answer to your question is yes this is completely normal and you will need to do a few more config steps to get a working connection with a bridged hub.

When you birdge a hub you disable all hiigher functions and make it a simple bridge to the exchange.

What this means is that it will get the connection to the exchange but it will go no further.

You would then need something behind the bridged hub in order to do PPP (loging into the exchange) in order to get web access.

Bridging the hub disables DHCP also which means that the hub will give out one solitary IP address so you cannot connect more than one device to the hub and after connecting a different device you may need to powercycle the hub and the device connecting to it in order to hand out this IP.

If you are using the Vigor2925 to do PPP you will need to ensure that you are using the following generic router settings along side your PPP details for the line.

Generic Settings

Connection type: PPPoA (PPPoATM)
VCI: 38; VPI: 0
Encapsulation: VCMUX
Modulation: G.DMT
RFC: 2364
Network type: WAN (Not LAN)

Hope this helps

Burkem5