cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buisness Hub 3 & BT2700hgv

munga42

All,

I am looking to extend the wireless range of the BH3 and was wanting to use an old 2wire BT2700hgv. Can this be done? If so how should I configure the routers?

Many thanks

20 REPLIES 20

MHC
Guru

My remote 2700s acting as WAPs, do NOT appear on the master 2700s list of devices either.   That may be because of one of two reasons - firstly outside the allocatable DHCP range, but probably not as I have other devices with fixed addresses and they appear, the second reason may be because it is a switch/part of the network rather than a terminal device - mg Gigabit switches do not appear either.

However,   I can access each WAPs interface from anywhere; including via a second WAP.

The main reason I suggest an IP address outside the DHCP range is to ensure there is no clash - if it is in te range and turned off, another device could be allocated the address and when the 2700 is turned on it will cause an address clash.

whiller123
Super User

@MHC

You are right about that I am sure & it is wise to allocate an address to the AP that the router can not issue to some thing else, I will do that in future

I have noticed though having run a 2701 at a pub for eighteen months that it never ever issues the same address to another device once a device has already been issued with it. I have about 150 devices coming & going there & they always get the same address.

I guess though if it ever ran out of addresses it would start to re-issue

Rob

MHC
Guru

@whiller123 wrote:

@MHC

You are right about that I am sure & it is wise to allocate an address to the AP that the router can not issue to some thing else, I will do that in future

I have noticed though having run a 2701 at a pub for eighteen months that it never ever issues the same address to another device once a device has already been issued with it. I have about 150 devices coming & going there & they always get the same address.

I guess though if it ever ran out of addresses it would start to re-issue

Rob

They will get the same address if te DHCP lease has not expired - if you really did monitor closely you might find that once te DHCP lease expires (which for regulars may never happen) then a new device could be allocated that IP address.

whiller123
Super User

@MHC

It is because I have to monitor this so closely that I have noticed this, There are only 15 devices in the device list this morning out of 153 registered & 7 of them live on-site. The lease time is set to default  I visited site yesterday my windows, Mac & android device all got their regular addresses allocated I have not been in there for over a month. I keep a copy of every device details in a word document showing Device name, Mac address IP address, content screening group & owners full name. the IP addresses never changes. What you say makes perfect sense but it does not work like that for some reason. All logs checked morning & night

There are 5 regulars with devices that can't go 24 hours without going in the pub so you are right there too

I have another site with 4 computers on a BH3 all DHCP all use VNC to each other by IP address shared folders, printers etc IP addresses never change there either, even after their 2 week summer shut down. They have run like this for 4 years or more originally on a 2700 they have never had a problem

Rob

Engineer

whiller123

Rob

The BT hubs will always re issue the same IP address to a device unless that IP address is unavailable despite the expiration of the lease. The exception to this is if all available addresses have been taken when connecting a new device it will then re-cycle expired lease addresses.

PM

whiller123
Super User

@Engineer

Hi Dave

Got your private message & replied,

Today I am being thick! I thought when you signed your previous post PM  you were maybe David Cameron, its my age you know!

Yea it appears right about the addresses I find exactly that. What MHC says though about the lease makes perfect sense, I have looked at some of his (or her) other posts & he is always spot on the numbers. I may restrict the number of available addresses to test the theory!

Ah no life is to short! if it works it works. Lets move on!

Rob

MHC
Guru

@whiller123 wrote:
... What MHC says though about the lease makes perfect sense, I have looked at some of his (or her) other posts & he is always spot on the numbers.

I'm a he ...

Playing around one day,  I managed to a master 2700 connected vioa Ethernet to 4 further devices.   Then one of those to four more and one of those to a variety of Thmson, 2wire, Netgear and DLink devices   all running as WAPs.

It is just a case of making sure the addresses are correct and in the right block.

whiller123
Super User

@MHC

Sorry trying to be politically correct & not sexist Your point is noted with dignity.

I am fairly inexperienced with the 2wire but have noticed some quirks. & am learning fast, never to old to learn & **bleep** I have some learning to do. You seem very knowledgeable about this stuff & I note all you posts with interest

Hope my posts did not offend as this is not my intention  I just wish to share what I have learned.

Rob

For the record the word that the system has shown as **bleep** was nothing more than a big wall that holds back water!

MHC
Guru

Not offended and I know why you put it there ...

There is a good resource for the 2700 at:

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

Some relevant, some not,  but it tells the story from start to finish.

There are quite a few bits of info there that originated from me.

whiller123
Super User

@MHC

That is OK then

There is interesting stuff on there I have been there before when I needed to use the Hub with a different ISP

Rob