cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get past a DNS error! Help please!

Eggy
Hi all,

My trouble is that recently, I quite simply cannot get onto the internet. From running diags on my PC machine It tells me that the DNS servers are unreachable. From attempting to connect to Xbox Live it tells me that the DNS test fails.

I used to set up with automatic detection, but later today I will try to fix the DNS settings to what I have found in this support area. What I am trying to find out is after I have updated these settings on my machine and Xbox...do I need to leave it for any length of time before attempting to connect to the net again? Anybody else had this experience and learnt how to fix it? Is BT renowned for having sudden loss of their DNS servers?

I have the following set up at home;

BT total Business broadband Option 1, usually works absolutely fine...occasional down time here and there.
D-link DSL-G604T Wireless modem (but I use it wired)  (IP 192.168.1.1)
My home PC (running windows xp) (IP 192.168.1.2)
My Xbox 360 (IP 192.168.1.3)

subnet of 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

thanks

Eggy
3 REPLIES 3

rainbowarrior
Super User
is the router set to auto DHCP ie to get ips from ISP ?
is the internal DCHP on ? or off?

1.goto router status page on 192.168.1.1
2.check what dns server show up on the router status page
3.post them here

what settings have you got on your pc TCP/Ip ?
no. BT DNS servers  do not fail - it is highly like an issue with network /router setup.

Eggy
Hi Rainbo,

thanks for the reply...having had no luck I gave in ( I always like to try and fix problems myself ) and called BT Business support yesterday Wednesday. That evening I got a phone call from Jeff, the manager, and we got it sorted.

Jeff, if you read this...thanks!  Man Very Happy

Bizarrley enough I have never entered a password myself to connect to the internet, I've always just "plugged and played" so to speak...but we found an area under the PPPoA settings in the router where the password and username had been reset somehow...so thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

i can now surf and use Xbox live...awseome  Smiley Tongue

Eggy

rainbowarrior
Super User

glad it worked and thanks for the information - this could help someone else !