cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot launch certain sites, others seem OK

gravesend46

Just moved into office space and the IT guy is remote and I'm sure he thinks I'm having him on but am having a problem with a new connection he's installed here (so bear with me please as I don't have many other specific details about the broadband connection as I am not responsible for it).

It's a dedicated line, I have two Macbooks and two PC laptops running into wall points.

Mostly it works fine, but ebay.co.uk (for instance) never connects from anyone's machine. I cannot login to Windows Live/Xbox.com (page will load but login/submit will time out). Online banking sites will fail while authenticating. A few shopping carts on online retailers also fail. Google apps (Drive, Calendar) work, but in patches - sometimes they fail completely. Yahoo's billing website is another that struggles.

This is not an exhaustive list but merely what I've picked up in a week of using it. I can get around most of it, but stuff like Google/Windows Live could be crucial to business.

Is this behaviour familiar to anyone?

The IT guy ran DNS lookups (I think they were) through a CMD line and they connected to ebay.co.uk fine, but he couldn't launch the site in a browser.

I have an ethernet switch and a wifi router (the latter only for wireless printing purposes) but even with these unplugged, the internet behaviour is the same.

Help!

3 REPLIES 3

adrianc
Master User

Which router are you using? There was an issue with the 2Wire 2701 randomly blocking access to specific sites.

Adrian

gravesend46

Hi Adrian, it's a Dlink DIR-615 but I'm pretty sure the router's not the issue as if I unplug it - ie. just use ethernet cable link from laptop to wall point and turn wireless off - the problems mentioned above are exactly the same.

gravesend46

Further to this, I don't know if this actually means anything as I'm not particularly clued up on this sort of thing, but if I do a ping test to the problem sites, they invariably time out or have high response times.

If I ping to URLs I have no problem with, they return data in 30ms or less.

For example, Bing (reliable connection):

6 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
EdBook:~ Home$ ping -c 6 www.bing.com
PING a134.dsw3.akamai.net (217.156.169.184): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 217.156.169.184: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=27.329 ms
64 bytes from 217.156.169.184: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=27.404 ms

But then eBay (never works in browser):

6 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
EdBook:~ Home$ ping -c 6 www.ebay.co.uk
PING www-intl.g.ebay.com (66.211.181.182): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1