cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send email with Outlook 2002 pop3 account

smj

Hi, my email address is <lastname>_<firstname>@btinternet.com  I current pick up my emails thru yahoo.com but decided now to switch to Outlook (2002).  I am setting up a pop3 account and have followed the precise instructions issued by the BT Help & Support. When I click on 'Test Account Settings' - all tasks complete (establish connection, find incoming server, find outgoing server, log onto incoming server) but fails the final task of 'Send Test e-mail message' ... error msg says "Unable to send test message. Verify the email address field".  But of course my email address is as above, and is correct, so I don't know what to change.  I have also tried mail.btinternet.com for both pop3 and smtp fields but nothing seems to work.  Anyone have any further advice?  Thanks much.

7 REPLIES 7

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Change the outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com and make sure 'my server requires authentication' is ticked.

That should sort it.

Thanks

smj

Thank you for such a swift response.  I agree this should make it work, but it is still hanging up on the same error message.  I have set pop3 as mail.btinternet.com and smtp as mail.btinternet.com and upon advice from bt also changed the smtp port to 587 (having previously tried 25).  I have tried account name/user name as the <username> before btinternet.com and I have tried it with the full email address <lastname_firstname>@btinternet.com.  I have ticked the authentication box, and said use the incoming server settings, I have also tried it with full email and password.  Still the same message is returned "Verify the email address field".  I wonder is it stuck on the fact that I have <lastname_firstname> and it doesn't like the underscore?  But that IS my email so I don't suppose changing it will do any good.  I have previously had this working with Outlook but can't recall what edition!  Certainly not on Vista, that's a new variable.  If you have any further thoughts I'd be much obliged.  And thanks again.

spank
Grand Guru

Ignore that as you would not be able to receive if that was the case.

The fact that you can receive means the email address is correct.  It must be a problem with your mail client.  try downloading windows live mail and see if you have the same problem.

Thanks

Clanger

@smj wrote:

Thank you for such a swift response.  I agree this should make it work, but it is still hanging up on the same error message.  I have set pop3 as mail.btinternet.com and smtp as mail.btinternet.com and upon advice from bt also changed the smtp port to 587 (having previously tried 25).  I have tried account name/user name as the <username> before btinternet.com and I have tried it with the full email address <lastname_firstname>@btinternet.com.  I have ticked the authentication box, and said use the incoming server settings, I have also tried it with full email and password.  Still the same message is returned "Verify the email address field".  I wonder is it stuck on the fact that I have <lastname_firstname> and it doesn't like the underscore?  But that IS my email so I don't suppose changing it will do any good.  I have previously had this working with Outlook but can't recall what edition!  Certainly not on Vista, that's a new variable.  If you have any further thoughts I'd be much obliged.  And thanks again.

Hi smj

Is this still a problem ?

Give webmail a try, http://mail.yahoo.com using your full email address as the Yahoo! ID

The error report you are reporting is a strange one, I've found this info :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic9557.html

but may not be 100% the same - it mentions making sure you've got the up-to-date service packs etc.

Kwacker

Hi, I am experiencing the same problems with Outlook 2002 pop 3, same as the enquiry listed below, I realise the  Jan 2010 enquiry is a bit dated now, but.......... did the problem ever get solved.  As the query is exactly the same as mine.  It just keeps saying to me to verify my email address and like the person below, I am at my wits ends - ANY ADVICE from anybody  please

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Kwacker,

Outlook 2002 is now no longer supported for email with BT, as some of the protocols no longer work with our new email server settings.

I would suggest that you look at getting a more up to date version either Outlook 2010/13, there are other programs such as Windows Mail and Thunderbird too.

Mark

Kwacker

Thank you Mark

I can now stop pulling my hair out - I know my IT skills weren't that good, but I didn't think I was that bad!  thanks for your response.