cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Hosting from one BT domain name to another BT domain

cathryn_Q

Hi all, please help if you can, as I have contacted BT help by telephone more than once and I am still waiting for someone to call me back.

I have a domain name purchased and hosted by BT however I would like to stop the hosting on this domain and buy another domain via BT and use the hosting already purchased on the new one.

I wondered if I am better to cancel the hosting completely and start again with the new domain and would this cost me anything, or if I can simply transfer the existing hosting to another domain name.

Please help as I need to set this up as soon as possible. Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Hi Cathyn,

as no one has replied I can only advise:

Hi all, please help if you can, as I have contacted BT help by telephone more than once and I am still waiting for someone to call me back.

That doesn't surprise me - maybe a Forum Mod can read the overall and advise who to contact?

I have a domain name purchased and hosted by BT however I would like to stop the hosting on this domain and buy another domain via BT and use the hosting already purchased on the new one.

I think that only BT if, as, and when they/you have a chat can advise if this is feasible

I wondered if I am better to cancel the hosting completely and start again with the new domain and would this cost me anything,

Depends on a number of factors, web space sizing, bandwidth requirements,  etc. If you cancel then there my be a refund due from BT but there wil be a re-hosting cost and I can't say what this might be; I get domains (not via BT) with co.uk suffix, 3 GB webspace, unlimited email addresses, sql databases, embedded blog, etc and year 1 costs are 60pence (and that is the full year cost!).

You will also need to consider your current "status"; eg searches finding your site, etc - changing domain names and it might take some time for you to recover this status with a new domain reference

or if I can simply transfer the existing hosting to another domain name.

Not sure what his means: transfer existing hosting (with BT) to another domain name  .... seems to be the same as cancelling  and starting again?

cathryn_Q

Thanks for replying Seraphsalior. I am still waiting for BT to contact me!

I have come to the conclusion that BT do not want my business with them so I am going to cancel the hosting whatever the cost or implications as the hosting is simply to show a "this domain is for sale page" so not really necessary.

I am very interested to know who suplies your hosting etc for 60p for the year they can have all my business and that of my clients and customers. The new domain is for a new business that is linked to my existing business and I am quite high up on the ranking status so this is not really an issue at the moment am hoping the ranking will raise as the business profile does. 

Thankyou very much for your advice very much appreciated.

Seraphsailor
Grand Master

Look at this thread - Fiona (Mod) has provided BT web techy info links:

http://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Website-hosting-domains/Re-Redirecting-domain/td-p/21529

There is a contact us page for domain and web queries: the number is 

0845 600 7020 and stated to be available 24/7

cathryn_Q

Hi Seraphsailor thanks for the link and the contact number.

I rang the number and was passed from pillar to post within four different departments. Each time providing all my details and my request, whilst in the last department and whilst the lady was "searching for my records" my thirty seven minute phone call was cut off!

Needless to say I gave up on my quest yesterday, I shall try again today.

A small piece of advice for anyone with the same issue, ensure you are in a really good mood when you call and expect to hear lots of holding music and speak to many different people.