cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirecting web pages?

tone

Can anyone help? I need to redirect from my original pages to my newly renamed but otherwise identical pages. For example: from www.assurering.com/page2.html  to  www.assurering.com/clients.html

Will I have to upload a .htaccess file line for every page and will this work? Or is there an easier way?

Many thanks in anticipation.

ps I've searched but cannot get a definitive answer for exactly what I need to do. The duplicate content is seriously affecting my site.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tone

Mal,

Many thanks for your excellent reply. I've noted all that and deleted/updated the site making sure that my internal links are correct too. Hoping I've not misssed any. Only just done this so I guess the spiders will take some time yet to show the new site correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help, most grateful.

Tone

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MalcolmW

Hi Tone, I see you have duplicate pages in your hosting account. If you want to remove the duplicate pages you can simply delete them via FTP. I can see no reason that this would cause any problems as the page you posted as an example does not list in a google search for your domain.

I would note though that some pages do list in the search engine and people browsing to your site may find they get error 404 the page cannot be found when following the link via google search after you have deleted those pages. The alternative is to add a redirect to the pages you want to redirect from so: place this code between your header tags

<head>

<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.assurering.com/clients.html">

</head>

Replace clients.html with the new page you want to re direct to. You may also wish to add a hard coded URL so if the users browser will not auto re direct the user can click on a link.

<body> 
<a href="http://www.assurering.com/clients.html">Click Here</a>
</body>

again replace the clients.html with the page you wish to redirect to. Place this code in your body tag.

If you do not want to delete the pages then redirect is the best option for you. You can also look into custom error pages that will display if a user is directed to a page that no longer exists. As you mentioned htaccess and so you may want to have a look at these search results.

Hope this helps

regards

mal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These Forums are for BT Business customers to discuss how to get the most out of their BT Business products and services with other customers. If you have an issue that needs to be resolved by BT please contact us. Off topic posts will be removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tone

Mal,

Many thanks for your excellent reply. I've noted all that and deleted/updated the site making sure that my internal links are correct too. Hoping I've not misssed any. Only just done this so I guess the spiders will take some time yet to show the new site correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help, most grateful.

Tone