cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring FVS336G dual WAN for VPN using BT supplied modems and static IPs only

dsjbirch

Hi there everyone. Any help appreciated.

We use a FVS336G to provide remote access to teleworkers. We have 5 static IP addresses.

I have tried configuring the WAN IP address using the Router/Hub address specified by BT, but the FVS336G wants a gateway IP address and I don't know what it is.

Currently, the WAN1 is connected to the bt modem, and I have added a single IP (the supplied router address IP and subnet mask) as a secondary LAN IP. (Network Configuration -> LAN Settings -> LAN Multi-homing).

Although machine's visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ will thankfully see the correct router IP address (not the one supplied by BTs DHCP) any attempt to access the router externally has failed.

Has anybody had success with a similar router? Have I misunderstood something?

3 REPLIES 3

a-hill
Grand Master

dsjbirch can you be clear as to which BT modem you're using? We need a little more detail about your setup. If you're connecting your own device behind a BT Business Hub, then you will need to configure the hub to use your multiple static IP range, configure one of those IP's onto the WAN port of your device then disable the firewall for that device on the BT Business Hub.

If you're only using your device, then a different set up is required.

dsjbirch

a-hill we have recently upgraded to infinity broadband. The modem we are using is the standard modem supplied with infinity broadband, it is a white box (I'm not on site right now).

I want to eradicate all BT business hubs from the picture.

In fact, we have 2 inifinity lines. The first (let it be known as WAN1) has 5 static IPs. The second (let it be known as WAN2) has a single static IP.

RichCreedy
Super User

have a look here

basically, you need to set the modems to bridging mode, so that the router gets the dhcp bt ip addresses

bt use peered static ip addresses, which basically means bt's servers forward requests to the static ip addresses to the one your router picks up from the dhcp server on bt's end.