cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Small Business Server with a fixed IP and allowing external access via Remote Desktop

stevearcher
Hi All,

I'm having trouble configuring Small Business Server with a fixed IP and allowing external access via Remote Desktop. I have purchased 5 static IPs and I want to use one of them to access my SBS server remotely via RemoteDesktop. I have managed this by configuring SBS to use DHCP and obtain one of the static IPs from the BusinessHub, and changing the Business Hub Firewall config to show it 'hosting' RemoteDesktop. This works fine except that SBS doesnt work properly if it is configured to use DHCP, as some of its services required it to have a fixed IP configured.

I couldnt find any documentation on this, it seems as though the hub software isnt intended for this kind of usage?

So I configured SBS with a fixed IP address x.x.x.177 and changed the BusinessHub configuration so that this public static IP was not being assigned by it to any other device.  How do I change the Firewall config to allow RemoteDesktop access as the firewall only seems to list devices that use DHCP?

Is there any way to directly configure the Firewall without using the interface provided?

Cheers,
Steve
0 REPLIES 0