cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect 2 broadband routers into a single network

FionaTreveil

We have a small office of about 12 people and 7 virtual PCs running VPNs.  The single broadband router that we have is beginning to struggle with the number of connections so we have had a second broadband line installed.

We would like to have a single network with the connection load being spread across the 2 broadband lines.  Only one of these can be a DHCP server, although we also have a server that could perform this task.

Any advice on how to set this up would be gratefully received.

9 REPLIES 9

RichCreedy
Super User

you need 2 adsl modems with ethernet, a dual/quad wan router, and a maybe a wireless access point.

you will need someone with experience with setting this up, as it can be quite confusing if you have no experience.

i personally use 2 netgear dm111p modems with a netgear fvs336g, and for wireless i use a netgear wnap210.

the modems will need setting up for bridging modeand will require there own ip address ranges.

in my setup, the usernames and passwords for the broadband are set in the modems, but the ip addresses they receive are passed onto the fvs336g (this is the bridging in action).

FionaTreveil

Thanks for the reply.  I have a quad wan router ordered so I will try this out shortly.

farflungfish

I disagree, this is very simple with a Draytek vigor - google that, its pretty much automatic and just one box (well two considering that one port takes the phone line ADSL connection and the other takes an ethernet).

pawilson78

If it is a Draytek Vigor 2820 I have to say it's not fit for purpose.  The product appears to be at the end of it's service life, the firmware is buggy, and whilst it states it is Annex M capable, the firmware has never got above Annex A.

The load balance logic is flawed, the routing logic is ignored, and the stats on the box are awful.  I'd strongly advise you avoid this product!

A dual\quad WAN router would definitely be a better option as you can focus on better ADSL2+ modems.  Alternatively it may be worth considering EFM (Ethernet First Mile), which utilises multiple copper cores from cabinet to premise, offering the added benefit of having the same download and upload speed.

I believe this starts at 10Mbps, and can be scaled as required.  It is a few grand (but generally a lot cheaper than fibre if it's not already at the cabinet), but for the hassle of being a hardware guinea pig, the labour cost of configuration and management, and the likely loss of production time it becomes a valid option.

HTH someone.

bigphil999

I have bt broadband but I occupy a large building - mainly solid walls and the coverage within the building is poor.  I have tried various range extenders without any joy so would it be possible to split my broadband signal between two bt business hub 3's , the second one being plugged into a standard bt line box in a diferant location within the building, thus enableing both hubs to broadcast a wirless signal that my various items can pair up to.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi bigphil999,

it is not possible to have 2 routers on the same line as only 1 can be logged in at anyone time.  An option would be to install network cabling within your building and link Wireless Access Points (WAPs) via ethernet to the main router this would allow you to broadband a wireless signal in the rooms that you need too.

I hope this helps.

Markp

bigphil999

Thanks for your reply. Do you by any chance know the make / model of a suitable unit?

Once again, many thanks

phil

matthewkirby

Looked into shareband, they set it upo for you. I looked into it but with 2 lines, £20 for shareband and 2 rentals, I was hacked off that I was going to have to do that because Openreach think that 2nd world war cables are fine to run fibre through. Total rubbish company. Roll on 5g so they find themselves without a business. 

mattspchelp

Dependant on weather its the speed or bandwitdh you are trying to achive i would advise either 2 lines going through a single draytek dual wan router with load balancing setup so half of the network use line 1 and the other half line 2 with failover on both lines, this is available on the latest draytek models, or a sharedband soloution however we have found VPN connectivity via the sharedband soloution to be intermittent.